New Lounger
    Thanks

Word not booting (Office 2000 Premium)

I have installed and uninstalled my purchased Office 2000 many times over the years on many of my computers and haven't had any problems. Presently I use three Dell laptops (all use XP). I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled Office on all three. #1 and #2 computer work fine (both Word and Excel) but only Excel works on #3. When I try to boot Word on #3 the "Word 2000" window comes up, and the typing window tries to open (it shows "Microsoft Word" in the upper left corner of the Title Bar) but it "freezes" at that point. When I look at he Task Manager it shows the CPU constantly working at 100% and everything is frozen. Note: the Task Manager window shows TWO Word icons which are "Not Responding". I have uninstalled and reinstalled this Office several times on all 3 computers - with the same result. Right now it seems that my only hope is to reformat my hard drive on #3 again. Any help is most appreciated

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word not booting (Office 2000 Premium)

Go to Start/Run and type in "winword.exe /a" without the quotes and with a space before the slash. If everything works properly follow the instructions below.

Do a search for normal.dot (it is in a hidden folder) and either delete or rename it. When you restart Word it will create a new copy. It should start right up. Uninstalling Word does not delete this file which may have become corrupted.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

In addition to Fred's suggestions (which are very useful), see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fred - Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested RE: "winword.exe /a" and voila....Word came up perfectly ... working and all. But all of my many searches for "normal.dot" were unsuccessful. I realize it is hidden so I went to Windows Explorer > C drive >Tools > View and checked "show all hidden folders". ...and then searched, but each search didn't show normal.dot. Any suggestions? Perhaps is it not in the C drive?? Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hold down "Windows key" (below Z on my keyboard) and hit F. Under More Advanced Options, make sure that first three options are checked. This should work.

Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fred - I've tried holding down "Windows Key" (waiving flag with 4 sections) and hitting F on all 3 computers and get same results, i.e. I get "Search Results" windown. Sorry but I can't find "More Advanced Options" anywhere. I've tried looking under each possible option I can see, i.e. File, Edit, etc. etc. and can't seem to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks again in advance. By the way, I've searched for "normal.dot" on all 3 computers...(tried several ways of searching) and can't find it yet.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you manage to start Word using winword /a, select Tools | Options...
    Activate the File Locations tab.
    The User Templates line shows the path of the Templates folder that should contain Normal.dot.
    If you can't see the full path, click on the line, then click Edit...
    Click the dropdown at the top of the dialog that appears and write down the path.
    Use this to navigate to the folder in Windows Explorer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry it took me so long.

Yes! You get the Search Results window. Now select All Files and Folders and you will get the More Advanced Options.

Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and Fred - I finally found the normal.dot files - actually 2 of them. They were identical except one was dimmed and it read like this: ~$normal.dot. My thinking is that this is a "bad" file. I deleted both of them but the Word booting problem persists. I tried something else: I copied the working normal.dot file from one of my ohter computers and inserted it into the problem computer in the place where the deleting normal.dot files had been. However, I still get the same result. When I tried rebooting after the file transfer, I found that that now I had two files..both the same but one dimmed etc. Is there any problem with my forgetting the whole issue but simply to open Word via the "winword.exe /a" process. Obviously this will work, but is there any downside, other than a small inconvenience to open Word???
    Thanks again for all your help

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and Fred - I finally found the normal.dot files - actually 2 of them. They were identical except one was dimmed and it read like this: ~$normal.dot. My thinking is that this is a "bad" file. I deleted both of them but the Word booting problem persists. I tried something else: I copied the working normal.dot file from one of my ohter computers and inserted it into the problem computer in the place where the deleting normal.dot files had been. However, I still get the same result. When I tried rebooting after the file transfer, I found that that now I had two files..both the same but one dimmed etc. Is there any problem with my forgetting the whole issue but simply to open Word via the "winword.exe /a" process. Obviously this will work, but is there any downside, other than a small inconvenience to open Word???
    Thanks again for all your help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The ~$Normal.dot file is created by Word whenever Normal.dot is open, i.e. whenever Word is active. Under normal circumstances, Word should delete this file when the user quits Word; it will remain behind if Word crashes.

Starting Word with Winword /a is only meant as an interim measures for testing purposes. It's not a good idea to do so always - you wouldn't be able to save any customizations (to styles, toolbars, autotext, macros).
    Did you follow the other steps in Pjil Rabichow's troubleshooting guide mentioned in <post:=675,751>post 675,751</post:> higher up in this thread?

PS: for the future, it is not necessary to post identical replies to everyone who replied to your question - you can pick any reply and react to that, mentioning that you're replying to all, or mentioning the names, as you did.