Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross references (word 2003 SP2/XP Pro)

I have a document template that is working and is used for many standard documents but I found a problem the first time I tried to cross reference to an appendix.

The standard heading styles for the body of the document are formatted as we want them as Heading 14. Then we have appendices where the styles are identical but the first appendix heading has Appendix with a letter so that the style automatically displays Appendix A, Appendix B, etc. This requires different TOC levels for the appendix headings as the tabs and hanging indents are different to Heading 14. The four heading levels for the appendices are Heading 58.

I am working on one document at present where we need, for the first time, to refer to the appendices from the body of the document.

When I use the Cross Reference function, while I only refer to the appropriate appendix under Numbered item, I am getting the paragraph number from the previous heading level in the document with the appendix reference so the cross reference appears something like 5.4.2Appendix A

Can anybody suggest a solution, please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross references (word 2003 SP2/XP Pro)

In the Insert | Cross Reference dialog, you can specify whether you want to refer to the full number or not. You should select "Paragraph number (no context)" in the "insert reference to" dropdown, you should then get "Appendix A".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross references (word 2003 SP2/XP Pro)

Thanks Hans. That worked just fine. I had been using Full context thinking I needed that to insert the word Appendix.

Cheers, Geoff