2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A message across a wireless network

I'm sitting on the settee with my lapyop on my lap. The laptop is connected to a wireless router. The pc in the other room is also connected to the router. Both machines are running XP. Can someone please remind me how to send a message through the wall to appear on the screen of the pc.

Regards

Graeme

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A message across a wireless network

The most reliable method is to use an IM tool such as Windows Live Messenger, but this depends on the user on the other PC having logged in to the service.

You may be able to send messages to another computer using NET SEND. Just to confuse you this is also called the Windows Messenger service. You can find information on how to use it in <!mskb=168893>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 168893<!/mskb>, but most people disable the system service that allows it to work, as it has been used by spammers to create popup messages.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Thanks for your reply. I think NET SEND is the command I used when first setting up my wireless network to display a message box on the other computer's screen.

However;
    If I use NET SEND * Test text - I get a response that the message was successfully sent to domain MSHOME.
    If I use NET SEND /Domain Test text - I get a response that the message was successfully sent to domain MSHOME.
    If I use NET SEND /users Test text - I get the response no users have sessions with this server.

MSHOME is the default name for the hard wired network I set up a while ago in a previous attempt to connect my laptop to my pc using the Network Setup Wizard. This connection is now disabled on both machines.

Can NET SEND be used to send a message in the form of a message box from my laptop to my pc using my wireless network to remind my son when it's time for bed? Otherwise I could show him how to use Instant Messaging which is probably a favorable option anyway. There is of course also always the option of getting up off my lazy butt and walking into the other room!

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't test this, because the service is disabled on all my computers, but I'm pretty sure that the syntax

<code>NET SEND computername here is the message</code>

will send the message "here is the message" to the computer called "computername"

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NET SEND Mainpc Test text gets the response:
    An error occurred while sending a message to MAINPC.
    The message alias could not be found on the network.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

NET SEND "Main pc" Test text gets the response:
    An error occurred while sending a message to MAIN PC.
    The message alias could not be found on the network.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is the error message that you get when the messenger service is disabled, see <!mskb=839018>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 839018<!/mskb>.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All sorted now thanks. I did the workaround on both machines and the message now sends no problem. Learning is good but I think in this instance IM is the way forward as it will give my boy a new skill too.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Graeme

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a reason that Windows XP SP2 disabled the messenger service. It was being used by internet spammers to display their garbage on people's PCs.

In my experience, most kids use instant messaging to communicate with their friends, so it's a pretty good way of contacting them, whether they are two rooms away or on the other side of the planet.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed