New Lounger
    Thanks

USB ports not working properly

Hello.

Lately, my USB harddrive has been giving me some problems. When I try to download to the harddrive from the internet, I get a variety of different errors, and when I try to burn information that is already on the harddrive, sometimes it simply won't burn.

After doing some looking online, I'm pretty sure that this is more a problem with my USB or computer hardware rather than being a problem with the actual harddrive. This is also demonstrated because my USB wireless Internet adapter also stops working periodically for no reason.

These are the errors I usually get when trying to write data to the USB harddrive:
    "The semaphore timeout period has expired"
    "Delayed write failed"
    "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

Online, I've seen answers that range from getting a new enhanced USB adapter, to editing the BIOS and registry.

If anybody has any idea of how to fix this, how to determine exactly whether or not my USB ports are defective, or if you need any more information, please let me know. I'm using WindowsXP SP2.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB ports not working properly

Hi Aaron,

The only thing that immediately occurs to me is that if you are using a 2.5" (notebook) USB drive with a USB lead with only one connector (or one of 2 connected) at the computer end there will likely be insufficient power for the drive leading to all kinds of weird behaviour on the drive's part ... the two connector leads (one of which should have been supplied with your drive) are supposed to ensure the drive gets enough power to work. The way to get round this is to use a lead with 2 connectors connected or to use the drive's power supply if it has one.

Kyu

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's the problem.

Here's my setup:
    I'm using a desktop computer that has four USB ports in the back, and two in the front. In the back, I have my keyboard, mouse, and Western Digital 320GB hard drive connected. In the front, I have my Linksys wireless internet adapter.

Thanks

Have you tried to move some of those devices around.
    It sounds like you have a heavy power load on the rear ports.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

I concur with Bob, have you got access to a powered hub to put between the drive and your box.

In the past I have had problems with 2 of my USB ports and had to swap my devices around
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do you have sleep or hibernation turn on?
    As the "Linksys wireless internet adapter" may not be waking up and has messed things up on the USB controller until a restart.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys. I'll try rearranging some things. What would be the best setup?

And what exactly is a powered hub? Sounds like I could probably use one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

A hub would be a device used to attach multiple devices (in this case, USB connections), to one port on the main device. A powered hub, would be the same, but with an external power supply to plug into your AC supply.

Since USB devices can draw power via USB cables, your PC may be already supplying it's limit to other devices at the time a 'power hungry' device is looking for more.

My suggestion would be to put your mouse and keyboard into the PC directly as you are already doing, but put any other devices (such as a hard drive) into a powered hub.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

Any recommendation on what would be a good powered hub for the least money, or are they all about the same?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Aaron

Your profile doesn't show where in the world you live but a USB are relatively cheap. Have a look at a thread <post:=622,513>post 622,513</post:>I posted in December last year and the comments that hang off it and shows you the power draw from various USB devices.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't imagine that price should be a big question here. You ought to be able to find a good hub from one of the well known manufacturers for somewhere in the $20-30 range. I happen to like Belkin but I'm sure they're all just as effective.

Buy.com - Belkin 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Lighted Hub - 7 x 4-pin USB 2.0 - USB Downstream - External - F5U700-BLK

Buy.com - D-Link DUB-H7 - 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub - DUB-H7