2 Star Lounger
    Warrington (Greater Manchester area)/Cheshire, UK
    Thanks

Bookmark problem (Access 97)

I have another table (TableName: tbl_IDNumber) which contains a list of all ID Numbers and the people's names.

I have a form which displays an ID Number , a text field containing an email address, and 4 boolean (Yes/No) field (TableName: tbl_EmailAddress).

On the form, I am using a combo box which displays the IDNumber. The controlsource for the combo box is IDNumber field in the tbl_EmailAddress table.
    The row source for the combo box is a SELECT statement which returns the IDNumbers and names from the tbl_IDNumber table.

I am able to view and add IDNumbers in the form to the tbl_EmailAddress table.

With records that already exist in tbl_EmailAddress, I want to actually go to that record and display it on the form, and this is where the problem comes in.

I am using bookmarks at the moment and I get the following error message:
    "You can't go to the specified record. You may be at the end of a recordset"

My code is as follows:

Dim strIDNumber As String
    Dim myRecordClone As Recordset

strIDNumber = Me!cboIDNumber

Set myRecordClone = Me.RecordsetClone

myRecordClone.FindFirst "[IDNumber] = '" & Me!cboIDNumber & "'"

If myRecordClone.NoMatch Then
    SendKeys "{ESC}"
    DoCmd.GoToRecord A_FORM, Me.Name, A_NEWREC
    Me!cboIDNumber = strIDNumber
    Else
    Me.Bookmark = myRecordClone.Bookmark
    EndIf

Set myRecordClone = Nothing

Can anyone help me solve this one? (I'm still pretty new to the front end UI of Access)

James

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bookmark problem (Access 97)

Your code looks like it should work (at least as for handling the bookmarks), but there are several things that bother me.

First of all, don't use SendKeys; it is not reliable, and causes some problems that Microsoft has acknowledge but never fixed). If you are trying to undo an entry in a control, use "cboID.Undo".

Where did you place your code? That is, in which event procedure?

I am not confortable with using a bound combo box enter search criteria. As soon as you enter anything, you cause the current record to be dirty. This may have a variety of consequences, including accidentally changing the value of the ID field in a record.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip about the undo, I was wondering how to get this to work reliably.

The code is in the AfterUpdate method for the combo box. If there is a better place for it, I would gladly accept the advice.

If the combo box was not bound, wouldn't it still be dirty if you had to change something in it, even accidentily?

James

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The dirty property applies to the form's recordset, not to a control. Unbound controls don't affect the dirty property of the recordset.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does that open the possibility of changing it to an unbound control and changing my code to cater for the change?

James

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just posted code for something like this in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=61891&Search =true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=charlotte&Match=Usern ame&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=61813> this thread</A>
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The "dirty" applies to the form, not the control. A form is said to me dirty (which you can test for) when one or more bound controls have been changed, but those changes haven't been written back to the underlying recordset yet.

The AfterUpdate event is the proper place for the code. However, I would use an unbound combo box. For the bound control, I would just use a textbox. I typically put my "Find" combo boxes in my form's header or footer, to keep them out of the way of the data.
    Mark Liquorman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I am unsure of you are meaning in your last sentence when you refer to having your "Find" combo boxes in your form's header/footer to keep them away from the data?

James

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I'll try this out and see what I come up with.

James

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Quite simply, I don't like the idea of allowing using a bound data control to serve double duty as a means of allowing user's to find a record. So, I put tan unbound combo box in the form header, which allows them to select a specific ID from the box and have the form display that record. Then I only need a bound textbox control to display the ID in the form's detail section.
    Mark Liquorman