2 Star Lounger
    Vancouver, BC

Number of Rows for Macro (Excel 2003)

This is probably simple, but I'm stumped.

Each month I get a set of spreadsheets, each with a couple thousand rows of data in them. I have a macro that inserts a couple of new columns into each spreadsheet, performs some calculations in those columns, then deletes the original columns the calculations were based on. The macro has a count of the number of rows (e.g. it will do the calculations in the new columns from Row R2 to R4867) So far, so good.

The number of rows in the spreadsheets vary from month to month. So before I run my macro each month, I open each spreadsheet and see how many rows there are. Then I update the VBA code in the macro so that I've got the correct number of rows in it. I then run the macro and repeat this procedure for each spreadsheet.

What I'd like to do is correct the macro so that it will always "know" how many rows are in each spreadsheet, and do the calculation functions based on that number of rows. I thought this might involve using the ROWS() function in Excel, but I haven't figured out how.

Anyone have an idea?

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Number of Rows for Macro (Excel 2003)

Is there a specific cell that will always be populated in the last row, for example the cell in column A? If so, you can do it like this:

Dim lngMaxRow As Long
    lngMaxRow = ActiveSheet.Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

lngMaxRow will contain the highest row number. You can use it in your code, for example:

Dim lngRow As Long
    For lngRow = 2 To lngMaxRow
    ' do something with cells in row lngRow
    Next lngRow

Range("P2:P" & lngMaxRow).ClearContents

You can replace ActiveSheet with a reference to a specific sheet (and workbook, if necessary).

Uranium Lounger
    South Carolina, USA

I prefer this vairation on the method used by Hans since it will work on sheets that have more than 65,536 rows.

Dim lLastRow As Long
    lLastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    Legare Coleman

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

An excellent suggestion.

We should all probably remember to start writing code (even in answers to earlier XL versions) to allow compatibility with XL2007 (and the analogous version for columns. )

We should also remember to DIM col numbers as long as well....