Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player (Vista Home Premium)

After downloading all outstanding updates as Woody had said when he went Devcon 4, my Windows Media Player does not show videos anymore but only shows pictures. I was sure that it was showing videos and pictures before downloading all the updates. When I open the picture folder and click on a video icon and click play, there is a popup that says Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
    Would anyone have a clue to what might be the culprit and how to fix the problem? Thanks
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Media Player (Vista Home Premium)

Download and install

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

Lounger
    Thanks

I have been off the site since the fix I made, I went to restore point and that put me back to when I installed the updates and reviewed only two updates at a time and installed two at a time too and recheck Windows Media Player and so on to two more and recheck, etc. I was down to the last two updates plus the 5 new November updates. The three updates that I observed that has something to do with Media Player is updates 936782( Windows Media Player), 941229 ( Media Center) and 941651( Windows Media Player 11). I do have Windows Media Player 11 as it came with my new Vista in the beginning of the year. Woody says in his last several posts that people are having problems with windows Media player and that stopped me from downloading those three updates until further notice.
    I noticed that you mentioned to install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and I understand you were kind enough to help but since the restore point I do not have any problems, all my videos and pictures are working fine, it is just the fact that those updates are still outstanding in my download updates board. So what do you recommend that I do ? Thanks.
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It's up to you, really. But I would recommend to be on the safe side - to create a new restore point, then install all updates and Mega Codec Pack.

It happened before: Microsoft released an update, then update to fix the update, which is not working if original update was not installed...