5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Half circle? (2003)

How can I get a half circle or quarter circle shape in visio? I am trying to set up a lawn sprinkler system diagram and want to use these shapes to show sprinkler heads providing 360 degree (circle), 180 degree (half circle), and 90 degree (quarter circle) spray patterns. I thought there might be such shapes but I am unable to find them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Half circle? (2003)

Hi Don

Off the top of my head, insert a block arc AutoShape from the Basic Shapes and drag the yellow diamond to the center to close the arc
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This works best if you have Snap to Grid turned on.
    You can use the Arc tool with the Shift key held down to draw a quarter circle.
    You can duplicate a quarter circle, flip it horizontally, and group it with the original to get a half circle.
    Don't forget to set the fill color!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but I don't see any such shape. I found I have Visio pro 2002... not 2003 as I posted. The only basic shapes I have available are shown below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have a suspicion that the block arc suggested is in Word's basic shapes.

In Visio 2003 there is a template called Charts and Graphs and this has a Pie Slice shape which will do what you want, I'm not sure if this existed in Visio 2002

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

Thanks to all for your input. The solution I found was to go to my office 2007 machine, open PowerPoint, insert the PIE shape, adjust the shape to meet my needs, then copy/paste into Visio where it becomes a static shape (cannot adjust from 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The "Pie slice" shape is available in Visio 2002 - via the "Forms and Charts | Charting Shapes" stencil.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's another way to do it.

You can create specific shapes by bringing together all the standard shapes necessary to form the shape you want. Then, select all of them and use the (on the menu) SHAPES - OPERATIONS - and whichever operation you need.

To create the half circle, I dragged a circle shape onto the drawing area then I dragged a rectangle onto the circle such that only half the circle was sticking out from the side of the rectangle. Then, I selected both shapes (I selected the circle first then the rectangle) and went to the menu SHAPES - OPERATIONS - SUBTRACT. What remains is a half circle. When you use the Subtract operation, all shapes are subtracted from the first shape selected. Had I selected the rectangle first, I would have had a rectangle with a half circle cut out of the side when I was done.