4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Telephony Question >

Hi,

A newbiew Q:

My laptop works fine at home. But when used in a friends villa (where he has to use "9" to get an outside line) it doesn't work.

Also strange - I tried my ordinary phone in this way - I get a tone, but when I press 9, after a long gap, when I dial a no., it returns a busy tone.

Pls. advise me ASAP!

Thanks,

m.q.

Thanks

Re: Telephony Question >

Difficult to tell, not knowing where in the world this might be, but it sounds like it might be going through some internal exchange.
    Are the telephones 'normal' telephones? i.e. could you take one and plug it in to a direct line and get it to work?

Chances are it is a proprietory system and does not work on the same signalling as a standard telephone. If this is the case, at best you have done no harm - at worst you could damage the exchange system.

If it is anything like our office telephones - lcd display showing extensions and thousands of buttons - a modem will not work. You may be able to get an adapter to allow you to use a standard telephone/modem - you need to access the outside world without going through the exchange.