Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something of a reverse VLOOKUP (97)

I have a database that will eventually be quite large (1500 rows X 50 columns). The first column contains unique numbers (Part Numbers) in ascending order. What I would like to do is search the entire worksheet for any cells that contain a particular piece of information and retrieve the list of Part Numbers that have that piece of information in one of their row cells (could be there one or more times in a variety of columns for any given Part). I don't have any idea how to begin on this one. Any help would be most appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Something of a reverse VLOOKUP (97)

To get the ball rolling, here's one possibility. I think I've interpreted your situation correctly and I think my solution is fairly straightforward - enter the search string in a1 and filter column L on 1's. Of course, that formula is going to get pretty long when you adapt it for 50 columns.....

Brooke
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Something of a reverse VLOOKUP (97)

Another workaround that will require no coding is to use the Freeware utility ASAP Utilities from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.asap-utilities.com>http://www.asap-utilities.com</A>.

It has a conditional select facility that will allow you to hide/show only the rows or columns meeting your search criteria.

I hope this helps. (I am not sure if it operates fully under Excel97, so this may be a red herring...)