New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing text with a field (Word97)

I want to find and replace text (e.g. dingbat) with a field (e.g. {docproperty "title"}). I also need the option to skip some instances of the text - as in Find & Replace.

I'm not a macro wizard and can't see how to do it with wildcards and suchlike.

Help! and thanks.

ChrisP

Thanks

Re: Replacing text with a field (Word97)

Don't know that you can do this with search-replace. Consider creating an AutoText entry for the field that you want.

Otherwise, create the field you want to insert. Then select it and copy it onto the clipboard. Then use Find to find your text. Close the find dialog box. If you want to make the change, use Ctrl-V or some other method to paste your field. Then use the object browser (bottom of vertical scroll bar) to go to the next "find object." Repeat as needed. Hope this helps.

Unless this is something that you do very regularly, a macro will be more work than it will save on this, IMO.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replacing text with a field (Word97)

Chris,

Yes, you can do this with a Find and Replace, if you first copy the field on to the clipboard (which is what I thought Charles was going to suggest).

In the Replace dialogue you put into the 'Find What:' box whatever the dingbat is you are looking for and tab down to the 'Replace with:' box. Either key in ^c (code for the contents of the clipboard) or select 'Clipboard Contents' from the list revealed on clicking the 'Special' button (after clicking the 'More' button if you cannot see 'Special').