4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need Replacement for Norton System Works

OK...

Finally buying the workstation of my dreams...an ADK Core 2 Pro high-end quad-core system for my recording/mastering studio. The techs at ADK DO NOT want me to use anything related to Symantec on this rig. I had told them that I used Norton System Works as my diagnostic utility, which comes bundled w/ Norton Personal Firewall (which is also packaged w/ NAV.)

They recommended I go w/ Grisoft AVG...which will take care of the firewall, internet security & anti-virus thing...but can someone recommend a diagnostic utility to take over for NSW? I currently run PC Tools Registry Mechanic as a backup to System Works (& which does a better job of cleaning & organizing the registry)...so I guess I only really need a "Win Doctor" type utility to complete the package.

Thanks,

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Thanks

Re: Need Replacement for Norton System Works

After getting rid of SystemWorks, I have used SYSTEM MECHANIC with very good results.
    It's now in Version 7 and has a trial version as well ( of course ) as the purchased version available HERE

It's CERTAINLY not as intrusive as Norton and has a lot of functions.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

With each new system I get personally or support in the neighborhood or have responsibility for at work, I do less messing around with registry tools and system 'repair' tools, etc. IMO, there is less return than ever before and my time is worth more than the time & money spent.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys.

I'm also hearing that the "diagnostic utilities" are mere band-aids. So...if that's the case...what would be wrong in running Check Disk every now & then? Doesn't that locate & fix errant system files? (&...since it's Windows-based...wouldn't it 'fix the errors' correctly?) If that would do it...that & Registry Mechanic...I'd be fine, right?

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Thanks

Nothing wrong with running CHKDSK once in a while BUT it doesn't locate and fix errant system files.

"Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that info...but...that means I still need a replacement for NSW.

As an example...NSW happens to find invalid ActiveX files all the time. It claims to fix these invalid files. I'd prefer that they actually are....because...I do a lot of work w/ OLE's...the correct pathway of which is directly relative to ActiveX. Forget performance…I'd like those ActiveX files to be repaired correctly.

If NSW can't do it (fix these errant type files)...are their any utilities out there that do? (there has to be something, right?)

Thanks,

mark4man

Thanks

Like I said, SYSTEM MECHANIC. ( not Registry Mechanic )
    BOB

Today it is called golf!