3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two tables/charts side by side (2003 SP2)

On the attached document is a sample of a very large document (about 75 pages) containing a chart on one side and a table on the other (the charts are linked to an Excel workbook). You'll notice that the table is generally off the page as well as hiding portions of the chart. Any way to quickly format Word so that they are placed side-by-side correctly? They do need to be portrait not landscape (I already asked about that).

Thanks.
    Pooja
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two tables/charts side by side (2003 SP2)

You can get some improvement by setting the column widths more consistentyl throughout the document. You currently have lots of section breaks and different settings for each section.

Put your cursor in the first section, Format > Columns, Chose "Whole Document" and set the widths of the two columns to 10.2 and 8.8

The charts in the left hand column are not all the same width. If you select each chart, Format > Object, go to the Size tab and set the width to 9cm then you will get some further improvement.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Now if I proceed with this will it mess up the pages without the chart/table? There are pages of simply text in the same document. Would you suggest setting up a master document and splitting this document into sections?

Pooja

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would definitely suggest NOT converting this to a master document, that way lies corruption and loss of data.

You could select the first graphic and record a macro whilst you set the width of the graphic and the column widths. Then move to the next graphic and replay your recorded macro. Repeat till done.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried inserting the charts & corresponding tables into a 1-row, 2-column table? That way you wouldn't have to deal with section breaks because of the switchover from 2 columns to 1 column. Insert a 2-col 1-row table when you need side-by-side chart/table (or get one set up so the columns are the right width and the table DOES NOT automatically resize because of content, then copy it where you need it). i inserted one of your charts as a picture and the chart resized itself to fit in the table cell. I did resize the cols in the table tho before I pasted it in. I think inserting linked objects works as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great idea! I'll try it and see if I can do it quickly enough to meet the deadline.

Thanks!
    Pooja

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I'll try it!

Pooja