Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Memo problem (2007)

I have a memo field that I am using to capture notes on clients which will allow me to paste over 255 characters in it, but when I save the file, it immediately reduces to 255 characters. How do I retain the information in it's entirety?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo problem (2007)

A belated welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Do you have a format set on the memo field or on the text box bound to the memo field? Access truncates the displayed text in that situation (the complete text should be stored in the table).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding Hans.

I don't have a format designated on the memo field and don't see a text box bound to the memo field. I really just want to have all of the text visible in the form view for other users. Any suggestions?
    Best,
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sorting on the memo field?

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, not I am not using the memo field to sort.
    Best,
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, no idea then. Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.
    (Note: if your database is in the new .accdb format, convert it to a .mdb and zip the .mdb. Like most Loungers, I don't have Access 2007 yet).

Thanks

You say when you save the file, it immediately reduces to 255 characters. Do you mean when you save the access database or are you saving the data outside of access to another application?

If you copy or save a table with a memo field to another application, the memo field will truncate to 255 characters as you say, however, the memo field in access will hold all of the data as long as you have not specified a limit to the length of the field.

You can use a query or queries to generate the entire memo field and transfer that out of the database if needed.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

The reduction occurs when I save the Access db, I'm not saving the data outside of Access to another application. But I will generate a some queries and see if it will transfer.
    Thanks for your help!
    Ann

Thanks

If the data is not in the memo field then the queries wont help. How are you importing the data into access? Via a cut and paste into the table, import, or other means?
    So, if I understand correctly, you are able to get all of the text into the memo field, however, when you exit or save the database, the memo field truncates to 255. I seem to remember having a similar issue some time ago but will see if I can dig up the culprit.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just so I am clear,

1) Are all the tables within the Access database or is the source of the memo field in a linked Excel workbook sitting outside the database?
    2) Did you import the source of the table into Access from an Excel worksheet?
    3) What are the field properties of the memo field, have they inadvertently been set differently?
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to another two things that you may want to check but I have a feeling Hans and Gary were touching on these points.

Can you check the sysntax of the queries that run this form and check that you are not using the Group by option on the memo field in question as this will automatically truncate the text string to 255 as you describe and also, if there is underlying SQL that you are not using the DISTINCT predicate as this has the same result.
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

The data for the memo field is being input manually (literally notes from contacts). Your understanding is correct...I can input the text into the memo field and when I save or exit the database, the memo field is truncating to 255.
    Ann

New Lounger
    Thanks

The memo field data is within the Access db being manually entered so there isn't any linkage to Excel worksheets. The field properties of the memo field are as follows:
    Format-blank
    Caption-blank
    Default value-blank
    Validation Rule-blank
    Validation Text-blank
    Required-No
    Allowed Zero Length-Yes
    Indexed-No
    Unicode Compression-No
    IME Mode-No control
    IME Sentence Mode-None
    Smart Tags-blank
    Text Format-plain text
    Text align-general
    When I review the Table Design Options through Object Designers, the default field type is Memo however, the default text field size is 255 despite the memo setting. I'm not sure if this helpful info but wanted to pass it along just in case.
    Thanks!
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The default text field size has nothing to do with memo fields, a memo field doesn't even have a field size property. The default text field size means that when you create a text field, it will start out with a field size of 255.

I take it that attaching a stripped down copy of the database is not an option. That's OK, but it makes it difficult to investigate the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I stripped down the db but it won't let me save it in another format since v. 2007 has unique features that won't translate. I do appreciate your efforts.
    Ann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast