Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

    I hope this is the right area for this post, but anyway I will give it a try! Every so often Adobeupdater.exe will appear and it runs my CPU usage to 100% and, obviously, everything comes to a screeching halt. I have tried everything that I know how to do to get rid of this annoyance but it still periodically, randomly will recur. The only Adobe product I have installed (as far as I know!) is Reader and I can certainly update that manually as needed. If there is anyone who can tell me how to get rid of Adobeupdater.exe once and for all I would be most grateful. As a side note, I have been using Secunia PSI (Beta) to keep my applications up to date and have found that app to be most useful!

  2. #2
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,788
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

    Let the updater run by selecting "Help > Check for Updates" in Reader. Once it tells you if there are any updates, click on the Preferences button for the option to turn off automatic update checking.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

    Tony-
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty straightforward and I will do that later on tonight. I have to confess that I still don't understand why that particular exe maxes out my CPU. Oh, well....

  4. #4
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

    Tony-
    It was not as straightforward as I thought it would be. LOL I ended up using Control Panel>Add or Remove to remove Reader (twice!!!) No matter what I did, as soon as I tried to do ANYTHING with Reader, CPU usage went to 100%. The solution, at least for the interim, is to use the free Foxit PDF reader which I have just installed. It seems to be quite adequate, is much smaller than Reader and the docs open MUCH faster. I have heard hints in some of the IT ezines that there is a problem with Reader, so for the time being I will be using Foxit. If you come up with any other info that might have some bearing on this problem, please let me know.

    Thanks again for your response!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •