2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

I hope this is the right area for this post, but anyway I will give it a try! Every so often Adobeupdater.exe will appear and it runs my CPU usage to 100% and, obviously, everything comes to a screeching halt. I have tried everything that I know how to do to get rid of this annoyance but it still periodically, randomly will recur. The only Adobe product I have installed (as far as I know!) is Reader and I can certainly update that manually as needed. If there is anyone who can tell me how to get rid of Adobeupdater.exe once and for all I would be most grateful. As a side note, I have been using Secunia PSI (Beta) to keep my applications up to date and have found that app to be most useful!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adobeupdater.exe (Adobe Reader 8.1.1.20)

Let the updater run by selecting "Help > Check for Updates" in Reader. Once it tells you if there are any updates, click on the Preferences button for the option to turn off automatic update checking.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tony-
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty straightforward and I will do that later on tonight. I have to confess that I still don't understand why that particular exe maxes out my CPU. Oh, well....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tony-
    It was not as straightforward as I thought it would be. LOL I ended up using Control Panel>Add or Remove to remove Reader (twice!!!) No matter what I did, as soon as I tried to do ANYTHING with Reader, CPU usage went to 100%. The solution, at least for the interim, is to use the free Foxit PDF reader which I have just installed. It seems to be quite adequate, is much smaller than Reader and the docs open MUCH faster. I have heard hints in some of the IT ezines that there is a problem with Reader, so for the time being I will be using Foxit. If you come up with any other info that might have some bearing on this problem, please let me know.

Thanks again for your response!