3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharepoint Access from other PC's

Hi,

I am installing Sharepoint on a server, it is a small network with 5 PCs and a server, I am running Sharepoint on the server with 3 PC's on XP Pro, 1 PC on Windows 2000 and 1 PC on Multi Media Home.

Sharepoint runs fine on the server, all the users are added, all the PC's can connect to the server and read or write files, when it comes to accessing the sharepoint only the Windows 2000 PC will pick up the Sharepoint site, the others give the address not found message.

I have checked all the internet option and they look ok.

Anybody have any clues.

Regards

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Sharepoint Access from other PC's

Is this Sharepoint Services (free part of OS) or Sharepoint Server (extra cost addon)? Have you checked the firewall on the client PCs?

joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I have SBS2003 on my server and it is the package that comes with that, so I am not sure if it answers the question.

Also I have no firewall setings on the other PC's, had that problem when I was trying to get the PC to talk to the server.

I have played around with the Multi Media Home PC and that now works now that I did a restart and logged on to the server because it cannot connect to the domain being on MultiMedia Home version.

Any other clues

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks

I think that means it is Sharepoint Services. If you are running XP SP-2 the Windows firewall will be running unless you've disabled it. Have you checked the access rights on the server for the users that are unable to connect to sharepoint?

joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

You are correct, I obviously I did notturn off the firewall on some of the PC's, I thought I had.

All working now. Many thanks.

Regards

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks

You should be able to configure the firewall to allow Sharepoint access rather than turn it off. Even though the PC is in a corporate network you still should run a firewall on each PC as long as it is able to access the outside world. Also, see Windows SharePoint Services and Windows Small Business Server 2003 Installation Update.

Joe
    Joe