2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding Powerpoint Presentation in Excel (2003)

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a simple thing of inserting (embedding) a powerpoint presentation into an excel spreadsheet, displayed as an icon. Regardless of whether I "Create From File" or "Create New", i always end up with an embedded Slide Object rather than a presentation object i.e. if I edit/view/show the embedded object, only the first slide is available (and the rest are no longer there) and the object seems to be a slide object instead.

Seems a bit odd to me and can't believe this is normal. Searches on the internet don't bring up any suggestions here, so i'm relying on you ;-)

Embedding the presentation in Word results in the same problem.

cheers
    Dominic

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Powerpoint Presentation in Excel (2003)

Use the "Create from file" option (if you want to embed an existing presentation, that is)
    Make sure that you tick the check box "Display as icon" after selecting the file (using Browse...) and before clicking OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Powerpoint Presentation in Excel (20

Ahh you see, that would be too easy.

Naturally I've tried that (since that's the ordinary simple way of doing it that doesn't lead to any problems usually..) but in this particular case, i seem to get the problem i described. On a colleague's machine, it's possible to insert the same presentation into the a spreadsheet without it being converted to a single slide.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

on a colleague's machine it works perfectly fine i.e. with the same excel file it's possible to embed the same powerpoint presentation, then open/view/edit the presentation. On my computer, I can only view a single slide and all ppt menus relating to viewing/editing/showing slides are greyed out.

No idea. Must be something screwey on my machine. Doesn't help tho [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you see in the popup menu if you right-click the icon? Presentation Object or Slide Object?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see a "Presentation Object" in the menu, until i open/edit/show it, at which point powerpoint displays only one slide.. when i close it again and right click a second time on the embedded object, it is now a "Slide Object".

My colleague can embed the presentation object and open it as such without problem. If I them open the xcel file and double click the object, it becomes a slide object again. There's just something screwey on my machine!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know what causes this or how to correct it. Your problem, or something very similar, is mentioned in the newsgroups, but unfortunately without a solution.

How important is it to you that this works correctly? If it is essential, you might consider completely uninstalling MS Office, then reinstalling it. Othwrwise, that seems to be overkill.