4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word error while running the Adobe PDF Maker (Word 97 onwards)

Hi

Just wondering if any of you have seen this error and how it can be fixed while trying to create a PDF from a (large) Word document. I get the following

'Word has insufficient memory. You will not be able to undo this action once it is completed. Do you want to continue?'.

BTW: I only get the above message if tagging is switched on. If I switch off tagging then the PDF maker creates the PDF document without any interruptions. Although, with smaller documents & tagging switched on, I don't get the above message.

I wonder what tagging actually give me. It's for me read up on it.

Hope you guys can come up with some proposal.

Thanks.

Robie.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word error while running the Adobe PDF Maker (Word 97 onwards)

Are you using the PDFMaker add-in in Word to create the PDF? This runs as a macro in Word. Apparently, keeping track of the tags in a large document takes up an inordinate amount of memory. Word's undo stack also uses a lot of memory, so Word has to let you choose between canceling the operation or continuing without the ability to undo it. If you had an even larger document, chances are that you wouldn't be able to create a PDF at all with tagging turned on.

Tagging adds information about the structure of the Word document to the PDF file. This information can be used by screen readers for visually impaired (challenged?) users, and has several other advantages. See for example Understanding Tagged (Structured) PDF.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edit: 10:03

Thanks Hans.

Now it is beginning to make sense.

That's exactly how we are using the PDF Maker. It is installed as an add-in. So there is no way of getting rid of that message :-(. We just have to monitor the pdf making process and respond as and when asked.

OK. The other thing (I will read up on it today but while I am at it) is if our documents are not meant for visually impaired or for conversion back to WORD - do we really need tagging switched on? I will also contact our legal department on this issue. Although, we are trying to get our users to reduce the size of the documents we still get large word documents. I will play with the tagging on/off and see what the differences are for our documents.

Is it possible to stop word from monitoring/saving stuff for UNDO & if so, then PDF maker should work without any interruptions?

Thanks once again Hans.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can turn off tagging if you don't need it.
    Alternatively, you can print the document to the Acrobat printer - this doesn't add tags.

There is no way to disable undo in Word. You can clear the undo stack with ActiveDocument.ClearUndo, but this doesn't turn off undo.