3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FILENAME field (2002)

We have modified the Normal.dot and most of our in-house templates to include the Path and Filename in the footer. Recently one of our users has been getting the Path and Filename in the footer but preceded by "FILENAME p" and there are also rectangle (codes) before and after the footer information.

I think the user has been editing the footer because the filename does not appear for a new document. The user tries to remove the existing Path and Filename field with the Path and Filename field from the Insert AutoText icon on the Header and Footer toolbar. When the user does this the field then contains the "FILENAME 'p" information.

I have instructed the user to not replace the Path and Filename field in the footer, but to go to Page Preview to see the field update.

Has anyone heard of this issue with the replacement of the Path and Filename field? Is there anything that I can do to prevent the FILENAME code from being inserted?

Thanks

Re: FILENAME field (2002)

The field code to dynamically display the path and filename is indeed FILENAME. Is it possible that the user is printing field codes rather than (or in addition to) field results? Check here: Tools > Options..., Print tab, "Include with document" section: Field codes.

If that isn't checked, then perhaps the process of inserting the filename is including the extraneous text. Assuming the user is using an AutoText entry, you could re-create it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do not think that the user has the Include with document checked. We have other fields in the document but the other field codes do not display.

I am not sure how to recreate the AutoText entry. I did remove the Path and Filename field from the AutoText list and brought it back from our standard Normal.dot. The user had the issue again after re-adding the field.

Anything that our user could be doing to cause the issue?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi BJ,
    <hr>"FILENAME p" and there are also rectangle (codes) before and after the footer information<hr>
    The square boxes are a dead giveaway that an attempt to key in the field braces via an Autotext entry has failed - the user probably copied the FILENAME field and saved it as an Autotext entry instead of using the in-built one. Either that or the in-built Autotext entry has become corrupted somehow. In any event, there should have been no need for the user to modify the template. Simply doing a print preview would have been enough to get the field to update.

If you want to keep your users out of the document header/footer area, you could set your document up so that the first thing in the body of the document is a continuous Section break, then protect the document for forms, leaving the second section unprotected. Do note, though, that protecting the document this way can be quite limiting in terms of what the users can do in the unprotected section.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation of user error.

The user now has a fresh Normal.dot, the AutoText entry was deleted and the AutoText Filename field added from the standard Normal. We also trained the user to Print Preview to update the field.

Thanks for the idea to protect the header/footer area. Some of our templates have macros to help users enter information into the header/footer. The current macros do not seem to like the document protection. I will try your suggestion on templates with little information in the header/footer.