5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HIghlighting report sections (Access 2003)

I have a report which lists details of volunteers that have helped on a charity walk. The report lists the data grouped first by year, then by the sector they marshalled (the walk is broken into 30 sectors). The customer wants this data presented in Block format. This is all working successfully but the customer has now reuqested a line beneath each sector to make it very clear where the sectors finish. (I think this is the big advantage of the indented format, but the customer really doesn't like that format.)
    I have successfully created a section footer for the sector grouping and put the required line in, but this causes the year (the first level grouping) to be repeated for each sector.
    What's needed to highlight the end of each sector but not have the year listed for every sector, please?
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HIghlighting report sections (Access 2003)

Instead of using a group footer for the sector section, you could place a line at the top of the group header for the sector section. You may have to move existing controls in the group header down a bit to make room for the line.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    The solution works and each sector is highlighted by the lines - thanks. However, as soon as the Sector section header has anything other than zero height, the year gets repeated for each Sector, i.e it's the same effect as putting the line in the Sector section footer.
    (I see this problem as clearly a function of Access's Block fomatting option.)
    Ideally, I'm looking to get the lines as per your suggestion but without the year listed each time.
    Can it be done, please?
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans
    The DB attached has two forms of the report in question. Volunteers by Year and Section shows the lines bracketing each sector, but the customer doesn't like this format.
    Volunteers by Year and Section (2) is the same report but built using the Access block format. This shows that the year is repeated each time.
    Thanks for your help
    Silverback
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the attached version. I reset the height of the group headers to 0 and moved the line to the top of the detail section.

There's a text box in the detail section with properties:
    Visible: No
    Control Source: =1
    Running Sum: Over Groups
    Name: txtCounter
    This text box keeps a running counter of the records within a group (it starts over at 1 for each new group).

I added an On Format event procedure for the detail section to make the line visible only for the first detail record in each group:

Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
    Me.Line16.Visible = (Me.txtCounter = 1)
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files