2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limiting which recent documents are recorded (Windows XP)

Howdy folks,

I'm using Windows XP in "Classic" view (i.e. the Start button shows "Programs", "Documents", "Settings", etc.). I'd like to customize and change what types of documents are recorded into the "Documents" category of recently-used documents. For example, Documents will list all the photos I've recently accessed (regardless of whether I've saved changes) but it doesn't record the videos (avi, mpg, whatever) I've recently accessed.

Is there a way to change which types of documents are recorded? A Registry entry or maybe a utility? What determines which show there and which don't?

TIA,

Beej

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limiting which recent documents are recorded (Windows XP)

As far as I know, Windows has no built-in way to control that, and I've never heard of a utility that provides this capability.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Limiting which recent documents are recorded (Windows XP)

This article New Graphical Interface: Enhance Your Programs with New Windows XP Shell Features -- MSDN Magazine, November 2001 explains how to do this for each file type. It is in the section immediately following Figure 5. It involves heavy duty registry editing. I'd advise you not to mess with this. If you decide to be sure to make a system backup first.

Joe
    Joe