Lounger
    Thanks

Access viewer? (Access 2000)

Can anyone tell me if there is a viewer, similar to the Word and Excel Viewers, that will allow an Access database to be read on a PC that does not have Access installed?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access viewer? (Access 2000)

No, not really.

If you have the Developer Edition of Microsoft Office 2000, you can distribute Access Runtime to users who don't have Access. Access Runtime lets users open a database and use its forms and reports for entering, editing and viewing records. You cannot view or modify the design of database objects using Access Runtime.

Note: Office 2000 is no longer sold. The runtime version of Access 2007 is free (see Download details: Access 2007 Download: Access Runtime)

You can export Access reports to snapshot (.snp) format; Microsoft has a free snapshot viewer - see Download details: Snapshot Viewer for Microsoft Access.

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks, Hans. I knew you would know.
    I am not constructing the database myself, but the person who is should be able to distribute it as you suggest, so I will pass this on to him. I think the runtime option is what he needs.

Best wishes,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do I understand that Access 2007 Runtime is only for apps developed with Access 2007 ?

Thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2007 Runtime also works with databases in the older .mdb format; I assume that these could be developed in (for example) Access 2000, but I haven't tested it.