4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Small Text on Printed HTML Emails (Outlook 2003 SP3)

Over the past week I've been upgrading workstations to Office SP3. Now when a user prints an HTML formatted email from Outlook it comes out with very small text. I remember having a very similar problem about a year back when I upgraded workstations to IE7. But that went away when a patch came out for it.

The only things I've found so far is a workaround. With the HTML message open, it will print larger if the user first goes to the View menu and picks Text Size, Largest. But the user has to do it each and every time he wants to print an HTML message. Is there a permanent way to make this work? I've been digging but not finding anything except this workaround.
    Daisy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Small Text on Printed HTML Emails (Outlook 2003 SP3)

Did you ever get a fix for this? We are having the same problem occur, mostly on long email threads. Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. Whenever there's a problem with printing an extra wide/small text HTML email we have the user change the format to plain text before printing. It strips out all the prettiness but at least then it's all readable.
    Daisy

Thanks

This is an annoying feature of IE7, that it always defaults back to "Shrink to Fit"... although the alternative of cut-off text wasn't that great either...

Often the problem is that there is an unbreakable line in the message. This can be caused by a huge screen shot or by a elements (such as a company's disclaimer footer) with formatting that prevents them from wrapping. If the email needs to be readable more than it needs to a be 100% accurate representation of the original, you often can simply remove the problem element by editing the message (Edit>Edit Message). You can close the changed message without saving so you can print it "as sent" should the need arise.

Thanks

By the way, if the long email threads contain a lot of indenting, that can really waste paper. When I get involved in such a thread, I try to remove the indenting using the code in this thread: Remove reply indenting from HTML message. Note that the contents of the attachment for the first post are in the last message of the thread.

Thanks
    This problem persists to some extent with Outlook 2003 + IE8, but after installing IE8, you can turn off shrink-to-fit in File > Page Setup in an Outlook message, so that is an improvement. Cross-reference: [topic="761697"]IE 8 was released today . . . (Internet Explorer)[/topic].