Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Search or Find (Vista Home Premium)

I'm having trouble finding files in Vista, even if I uncheck Hidden Files and Protected Files under Tools--View. One was eventually found under Program FilesCommon Files. Another, looking for my printer profiles (Epson 3800) which are either *.icc or *.icm, I believe, I never could find. I type in my file either in the box above the start menu or in the box on the top right of a folder. The old find used to be much easier. And when I do find a file using Search, I have to go to Right Click -- Preferences in order to locate it. There is no Right Click--Open Folder containing this file. Help Please.

kdoc

Thanks

Re: Search or Find (Vista Home Premium)

That's surprising. Any searches that I have initiated have given me results in a matter of seconds. Perhaps you may need to tweak your indexing options. Start>Help and Support and search for "indexing". There is a quite a bit of helpful information there.

To find the location of a file (from a search), right click on the file and select "open file location".
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. So, I've uncovered Hidden and Protected files, and included in my Index all of C drive (by default that excludes Program files; program data;... Questions: 1. Do you have search include all of C drive? (It didn't take very long with this fast computer)? 2. Aren't some of the files we want to find in Program files: what do you suggest I do about this? 3. Do you search from the Top right search box of a folder window, or from above the start button, or doesn't it matter? 4. I still didn't find any *.icc or *.icm files. (I work in Photoshop). Why, and where are they kept? (Profiles for printing).

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Look for the file types in the Indexing Options | Advanced | File Types and make sure they are checked. You may need to rebuild your index after the changes.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

1) Yes - my searches include all of C: drive (except the default exclusions - Program Files, Program Data, etc.).
    2) If you want to index Program Files, ProgramData, etc., you can modify the indexed locations to include these folders.
    3) I usually start my searches from Start>Search. This brings up the Search Pane.
    4) As for your *.icc or *.icm files, start the Search Pane, click on Advanced Search and in the Location drop-down, select Everywhere. Apart from that - I have no idea. Perhaps someone else can offer some help.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've rebuilt Index and kept Hidden and Protected files showing, and included "C" but with out the default exclusions Camera Raw.8bi "is" under ProgramCommon FilesAdobe...etc and is not found. Is that one of the exclusions--it seems to be? Also I realy don't know where my profiles are kept *.icc and *.icm, and they don't show up either , though I've checked them under Advanced. I continue to be perplexed, and to not find files which were easily located in XP days of yore. Happy Thanksgiving all!

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks

1.) When you look at the Indexing Options (you can do this by clicking the orb and then type "index" in the search bar without the quotation marks and press Enter) what shows in the Exclude column?
    2.) With the Indexing Options open press the "Advanced" button. Then click on the "File Type" tab. Look for your file extensions in the list and make sure there is a check mark next to each.
    3.) Re-build you index.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you: I've done all of that. I suspect the problem is the excluded Program Files etc. How do you un-exclude them, and at the same time, include C drive?

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks

With the indexing options open click on the Modify button. Then at the bottom click the "Show all locations" button. You should be able to use the small triangle to 'open' the C: drive and check or uncheck the folders you wish. You'll need to rebuild your indexes after you finish with your selections.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that seems to solve most of it: One really needs to open virtually all the files, including those in the program files if one wants to find certain things. I've found th a couple of things I couldn't before, but still can't find where my *.icc and *.icm files in Vista are kept. They still don't show up....but it's not essential at the moment. I guess the next thing to watch is how fast or slow searches are now that much more is included: so far still lightning fast. So, unless any of you happen to know where *.icc and .icm are kept, I'll forget that for now, and leave you with one question. What do we do about "ProgramData?" That seems not searchable--better to leave it alone?? What do you think?

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks

Look in c:Windowssystem32spoolcolor for the *.icc & *.icm files. With Windows Explorer navigate to C:ProgramData. Right click and select Properties | General | Advanced. The make sure "Index this folder for searching" is checked. Then use the indexing options to include it.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe (have been away for couple of days). That about does it, insofar as my now knowing where there files are ( For others looking for those files, please note that the icc and icm files are in C:WindowsSystem32spooldriverscolor (The "drivers" folder was inadvertently left off of the last post). Also, Joe, when I did as you suggested to Index this folder, there were several files which Vista says it can't index--I simply "Ignored All" and went on, assuming there's nothing else I should do? What is now interesting and perplexing, is that Search will find these files if I begin in the system32 folder. But if I start higher up in the tree (either in C:Windows, or C: it still doesn't find it (C:Windows Properties and C:ProgramDefault does show theseas an indexed files, although "Index" still shows "Windows" and ProgramDefault to be excluded, even though right clicking them in Explorer shows them to be Indexed. And "Rebuild" says it is completely built.

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks

The properties in Windows Explorer just makes the folders available to be indexed. You must still change the indexing options to NOT exclude them. And then re-build the index.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, we're on the 3rd hour of indexing, and I think I pretty well understand how all of this works. Nothing is excluded currently except for "Default", whatever that is. So here's my follow up question. Obviously, if I leave it like this, instead of returning it to the initial Indexing setting, doing a Search will take a bit longer, and only by testing that on my computer will tell how much longer. What I want to know is, will leaving it this way also slow down the other, day in and day out computer speed? Do you leave your system with everything being Indexed, or do you only set it that way when something special is needed? And this "Default" which is left excluded, what is that?

kdoc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have also found some under different Program folders, including Adobe. So they are NOT restricted to System32 folder area.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast