New Lounger
    Thanks

windows explorer crashes (vista home premium)

Hello everybody!
    I have windows vista home premium and my windows explorer crashes - I receive the message "Windows explorer has stopped working" even when I want to see the properties of "computer" from start menu. I can not appreciate if is because of one of the programs I have installed. Can anyone help me please? Thank you very much!
    Rica

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: windows explorer crashes (vista home premium)

Are you up-to-date with patches?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Joe and thanks for your answer.
    Yes, I have windows up to date, most recent check for updates today (24.11). It says that updates were installed on 20.11 – it’s about KB915597 – definition update for Windows Defender and in view update history there is a Hot fix for Windows KB929547 installed on 23.11 (the difference between dates is another question mark for me).
    Problem reports and Solutions tells me that a solution is available that will solve this problem and the solution is Performance and Reliability Pack (KB938979). I downloaded it and when I have tried to install it I received the message “the update does not apply to your system”.

Rica

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I just had the same problem, but consider yourself lucky: in my case Word 2007 under Vista also quits from time to time with a similar message, but not under XP.

This may be a self-correcting error or it may get by with a little help from Microsoft, since it appears in my case to be fairly quickly corrected when online, but a major nuisance when off-line.

Anyway, you're not alone, and it's not confined to Explorer. It is not a frequent occurrence with my setup, but when Word goes it is a real nuisance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have discovered (I think) the answer to my Explorer (but not Word) crashes. The problem occurred when I was trying to get a U3 flash drive working, and it appears to be scrambled one way or another. (It won't work as U3 under XP either.)

I have just gone through a fistful of flash drives which have drivers or programs of their own which have to be updated for Vista, typically for any password protection program or a data safe on the drive. This is one of those driver categories that don't occur to most of us, but if you have some expensive flash drives, be sure to check for updates to their programs and documentation for Vista.