Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message when opening file (Access 2003)

Myself and a colleage are trying to use an Access 2003 simultaneously. Until today, this has not been a problem. Now - and for no apparent reason - my colleague gets this error message if he tries to open the database when I am already using it - "The database has been placed in a state by user Admin on machine xxxx that prevents it from being opened or locked". The database is not open in exclusive mode. We have tried repairing and compacting the database, but we are still getting the above error message or this one - "Microsoft Office Access can't save design changes or save to a new database object because another user has the file open. To save your design changes or to save to a new object, you must have exclusive access to the file". Does anybody know of a reason why this might be happening - and is there anything I can do about it? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message when opening file (Access 2003)

If a user opens the database, then intentionally or unintentionally changes anything in the design of the database, the database will be locked exclusively from that moment on. It could be something as simple as adding or modifying a toolbar button, interactively or in code.
    A way to get around this is to split the database into a backend containing only tables and a frontend that links to the backend, containing queries, forms etc. Give each user an individual copy of the frontend.

See WendellB's tutorial Why Split a Database?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm assuming this is a single database on a shared network drive? Make sure you both have read/write/delete priviliges to that drive. When both of you are out of database, see if the .ldb file has been deleted. If not, try to delete it. Sometimes you may have to reboot the server to break the system locks.

If you haven't done so already, you should consider splitting the database into frontend/backend, and putting a copy of frontend on each of your machines.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will try out all the suggestions and let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help.