4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing section properties (Word 2003)

I'm writing a multi-section document in which some sections have different layouts, and I'm having trouble making the layouts stay the way I set them. Here's a typical scenario.

I discover that the section mark ending section 5 is a "Continuous" mark when it should be "Next Odd Page." I change it, only to discover that the section mark ending section 4 is now "Continuous." I correct it, and discover that -- presto! -- the section mark ending section 3 is now "Continuous." And so on, back to the beginning of the document.

When I'm done, I often find that every section I had to fix has lost its headers and footers, and I must redefine all of them.

I have tried every strategy I can think of to avoid this problem: inserting the new mark before deleting the old one, inserting the new mark above the old one and below it, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else encountered this? Figured out how to fix it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing section properties (Word 2003)

Have you specified page numbers to start at a specific number for some or all of the sections? This might cause problems in combination with "Odd page" (or "Even page") section breaks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, after the front matter the first section of the text starts at page 1. That is necessary, but I suppose I could change it temporarily if doing so will help me avoid the problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If that only applies to the first section after the front matter, I don't think it causes your problem, but you could experiment on a copy of the document to see if letting all sections continue numbering from the previous one makes a difference.