3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection icon gone walkies (Home/Servic

Windows XP Home Serice Pack 2

Until recently an Internet connection icon was displayed in the System Tray - it is no longer present. In the LAN Connection Properties | General | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) the box `Show icon in notification area when connected' is ticked.

How can I get this useful icon to return to its rightful home?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet connection icon gone walkies (Home/Servic

This happens to many of us. It can usually be corrected by clearing the "Show icon in notification area" check box, clicking OK, then ticking the check box and clicking OK. This forces Windows to really read the setting again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet connection icon gone walkies (Home/Se

Hans, Thank you for your reply. What you suggest only affects the LAN icon. It doesn't bring the Internet connection icon back!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea what the "Internet connection" icon is - I only have a "LAN connection" icon. Perhaps someone else will be able to help.

Thanks

Strange.
    I seem to have always had two icons in the sys tray. One for the LAN, one for Verizon.
    In the screenshot, the icon way over to the right is the LAN, fifth from the right is Verizon.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I get three icons - one for "Local Area Connection", one for "Wireless Network Connection" (slightly different), and another for "Bluetooth Network".

Under "Network Connections" -- which you can get to by right-clicking "My Network Places" and selecting Properties -- how many icons (connections) do you see? In theory, it sounds like you should see two - LAN and Verizon.

Double-click on each of these sequentially. The first window that pops up should have two lines at the bottom. Now, I have both of those checked. And I ALWAYS get the icons in the Notification Area ("tray") -- even if I don't have a Network Wire or my Blue Tooth plugged in. What boxes do you have checked for both of those?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Then, you may want to check out this control box also. This can be found by right-clicking on the Taskbar (or the Start button and selecting the Taskbar tab). Then click the "Customize" button near the bottom right. Check out what it says there.
    Attached Images Attached Images