Thanks

Formatting Question (Word 2003, XP Pro, SP1)

I have a 53-page document that I scanned and OCR’ed to create a Word document. This document is like a book manuscript. I then was going through it, cleaning up spelling, adding tabs to the paragraphs, etc. I added 4 or 5 page breaks along the way to separate the document into “short stories”. The majority of the document is double spaced. In the middle of the document, there is a portion of text that is about a page and a half and is single spaced, as a poem would be. About 3/4 of the way down the page, Word suddenly throws the rest of the single spaced text onto the next page. The single-spaced text is all one lines, each line is ended with a normal paragraph mark.

I did all of the formatting myself, so I know what is in there. I checked the paragraph formatting for things like spacing before and after, line/page breaks, etc. I can find no reason for this separation. I would attach a portion of the document, but I discovered that when I cut and pasted that particular portion, the strange separation disappeared. I pasted it back into the document and the separation was gone.

Obviously, my problem is gone, but now it is a puzzle to me. So, my question to you is, what could be buried there. I am a word processor “by trade” so to speak, so I know what to look for. And I did, but still can find no reason. Your thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting Question (Word 2003, XP Pro, SP1)

No idea, but what happens if you copy/paste a larger chunk of the document (including the problem text) into a new document?

Thanks

Well, that's part of the mystery! If I cut and paste, regardless of the amount of text, the separation disappears! It's like there is some sort of auto spacing after the paragraph, or "page break before" etc. There is not. The ONLY paragraph formatting in there is widow/orphan control. That makes no sense, however, because these are all single lines. I even put blank lines after each separate line and its still there. Picture me confused!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I fear we'll never find out what causes this. Fortunately you have found a solution.

Thanks

I agree, Hans. Thanks for your comments.