Thread: CPU confusion

Thanks

CPU confusion

I will be getting a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard and from the info I have about this Mb it can handle three different CPUís. Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64. What puzzles me is what is the difference between them. Is one better than the other. I have gone to the AMD site and trying to look at the info that is available on these three CPU's created even more confusion. Can someone explain to me in laymanís terms what the difference is?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CPU confusion

Athlon 64 is the standard model.
    Athlon 64 X2 is a so-called dual core processor, it works faster than a standard Athlon 64 at the same clock speed. It probably has the best performance/price ratio.
    Athlon 64 FX is aimed at hardcore gamers. Nice if you play realtime 3D games a lot. This version is much more expensive than the others, so I'd only get it if you really need it.

Thanks

Thanks Hans. That has cleared up allot about which CPU I will order. The Athlon 64 X2.
    As far as a Video card can you recommend one? I do some game playing but not as much or the kind the younger people play. Looks like now a day's if your into heavy gaming and desk top PC'ing you need a separate PC for each. When it comes to RAM I have seen sets like CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. Are these two memory boards which are 1GB each and can they work with another set just like themselves? The reason I ask is because the MB I have in mind has four slots for RAM and can handle up to 8GB.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know much about hardware, others are much better qualified to answer those questions.