New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook - Unable to open default email (Win98SE/Outlook 2000)

I'm trying to set up a user with Windows 98SE and Outlook 2000 to connect to their Exchange mailbox. When I start Outlook, I get the message "Unable to open default e-mail folder. You do not have permission to log on." followed by an offer to essentially use Outlook as Windows Explorer. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook; I've set the PC to not be part of the domain, then reset it to be part of the domain. If I logon as Administrator, I can open the Administrator mailbox, and open the user's mailbox as well, so Outlook itself appears to be OK. I've reset the user's passwords on the Windows PC and the server as well. If I logon as myself, I get the same result as the user's ID - I can't open my email account either. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    - Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook - Unable to open default email (Win98SE/Outlook 2000)

Assuming you are using corporate, try this.
    In Tools | Services | Microsoft Exchange Server | Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
    The Logon Network Security is the field where I think the trouble lies. If this says NT Password Validation the system will try and use your NT logon credentials to open a mailbox belonging to someone with another username and password. If you set this box to None, Outlook will prompt for a full username/domain/password login for the mailbox you are trying to open.
    The alternative is to leave the field set for NT password validation, but then you will have to log in as the user, not yourself.
    This may not be the problem, but I think is somewhere around this area.
    Good luck
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree this is the best bet. The setting could have affected your log on too. I assume you made profiles on the problem PC for the user and yourself, so it's probably not a corrupt profile - if you used those profiles and could open the accounts when logged to the network as admin.

I'd check the permissions to the account on the Exchange server.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just to follow up - information from Steve Foster on the microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz newsgroup finally solved the problem. Following his directions, I right-clicked on the Outlook icon, picked Properties, then clicked on Show Profiles and removed all of the profiles listed. When Outlook was started then, it went through the email setup process and everything works fine now.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    - Bob