New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple directories in Word (2003 or 2007)

I am printing school reports via mail merge in Word using data exported as a csv file, and need to print a summary page for each subject for each class (for checking by staff). For example, for class A I need a one page summary of grades for English, then another page for Maths, etc etc. I can do this OK for the first subject (ie English) using the Directory feature of Mail Merge (so the merged doc is presented in a table on one page, showing 20 students and their English grades), and filtering the data by class. However when it comes to the second and subsequent pages, I can find no way to force the next subject onto a new page, so that all the maths grades are on page 2, and then Science on page 3 etc. All I get is a new student per page, instead of the whole class. There is some advice on other forums, however this requires the subject name to be listed under one field (ie SUBJECT). My data is listed under different field headings, such as SubName1,Sub1Teacher, Sub1Attain, Sub1Effort, SubName2, Sub2Teacher etc. Not ideal, but I am unable to change this due to the export data feature on the student management system i have to use. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple directories in Word (2003 or 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Since you're unable to change the impractical layout of the data, you'll have to set up a separate mail merge for each subject.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks HansV
    Yes I have already set up 17 mail merge docs (one for each subject) and am merging the data to each one manually. It has taken 3 days to print the reports, since each doc is merged 18 times (one for each class).
    Can I ask another related question?
    I have pasted each of the 17 subject docs into one new word document, each one on a new page. Now when I run the Directory Mail Merge the result is a long document with one page per subject x one page per student = 306 pages.
    Is there a VBA routine you (or anybody else) knows which will recognise that page 2 is to be a new Directory (ie all Maths grades for the class)? Then page 3 all Science etc.
    Thanks again, my admin staff are having a nightmare printing all this out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that is possible. Each merge document has to remain separate, you cannot combine them.

The best solution would be to force the people who maintain the student management system to produce a usable export file. After all, the data must be stored in some kind of database, so it must be possible to export the data in different ways. It's ridiculous to export to a format that necessitates an inordinate amoumt of work to make the data act like a database again. But that is probably not a realistic option.

An alternative would be not to use mail merge at all, but to do everything in VBA. But that would be a lot of work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans
    I will contact the company that made the student management system to see if the data can be exported differently.

Cheers.
    Damo