3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Copy-Paste (Vista Home Premium)

This seems to be the week of unsolvable problems. And perhaps this should be posted on Internet Explorer Forum (including this forum) : Anyway, suddenly, for the last week, I've been unable to copy and paste things I find on web pages or in forums. I get the "hand icon" from which I can't select text to copy. What has happened?

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Unable to Copy-Paste (Vista Home Premium)

Were you ever able to copy/paste from these sites? Have you checked your security settings?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was always able to do so previously. What security settings might do this? It's at medium high (as before); although I note it has "Enable Protected Mode" checked, and I don't know what this is or whether it was that way previously, or whether it might be at fault?

keith

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To be more clear, the cursor appears normal most of the time: all of the time in other apps. But in internet explorer, it malfunctions: If I"m typing somethng it functions normally and allows copypaste. And it changes appropriately and functions when I point to a URL. But when I left click to select some text from the website or a forum, the cursor changes to the "hand" and becomes set for scrolling the page--and doesn't allow selecting text in preparation for a copy/paste function.

keith

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I've got it. There's a button in IE 7called "Panning Hand" which got pressed. Once pressed, you cannot highlight (select) text: all you can do is Pan (or go to a hyperlink).

"If you are using a Tablet PC, the panning hand tool is available in Internet Explorer. You can use the panning hand to adjust the position of a page in a browser so that you can view any part of the page. It is most helpful when you are viewing a webpage that extends past the bounds of your browser. Moving the page position with the panning hand is like moving a piece of paper around on your desk.

To turn the panning hand on or off
    Click to open Internet Explorer.

To turn the panning hand on or off, click the Panning Hand button ."

Thanks for trying.

kdoc (keith)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Way to go!!! Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe