Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How do I tell what is using an app? (WinXP SP2)

I have a lot of monitoring tools installed and available but am unsure how to get tot he bototm of this question:

How do I tell WHO/WHAT is starting an application or service and using it? For instance, SQL Server is running on my system. I think it might have been installed as part of MS Office 2007 for either the business contact manager or that accounting product that MS has. However, I don't use either of those functions. So SQL Server sits there sucking up the most amount of memory on my system by far and usually has the highest CPU accumulated time. ALL for sitting in the background doing nothing that I am aware of. It even eclipes FF which has over 80 tabs open and I use throughmost of the whole day regularly.

I can track all the resource usage of an app like this, but what I want is to find who/what needs SQL Server, who/what is starting it and then maybe I can get rid of it..

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do I tell what is using an app? (WinXP SP2

I don't know anything about SQL Server, so this may not be helpful. But, have you tried Process Explorer? This will generally tell you what program has opened a given process. Even if it doesn't help you, it is a nice program to have at your disposal in the future. It is a stand-alone program (no installation needed), and now that Microsoft bought up Sysinternals, I suspect the software has even better clout.

The only thing that comes in the back of my cobweb-filled brain is that I think SQL Server is something used by Access or Excel, but that is only a guess.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: How do I tell what is using an app? (WinXP SP2)

BCM uses a SQL server 2005 database to store its data. See the 'Integration and Compatibility' section at Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager frequently asked questions - Outlook with Business Contact Manager - Microsoft Office Online. Outlook 2007 with BCM probably will not work without SQL server. Perhaps you should try installing it without BCM if you do not want SQL server running. According to Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008 frequently asked questions - Accounting Professional - Microsoft Office Online it is integrated with BCM. So, I'd uninstall the Accounting product, then uninstall Outlook with BCM, and then reinstall Outlook without BCM. NOTE: You may be able to just change the Outlook install without uninstall and reinstall.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Yeah I have Process Explorer. It's a good program.

The problem with something like SQLServer is that it doesn't seem easy to tell WHO/WHAT owns or is using the process. That is what I was looking for. Even though I am not using the progams mentioned that likely are using this dB, it is using 1.5GB of total storage, which I assume is on the swap file. That's a crazy large amount.

Administrator
    Thanks

Are you sure it is 1.5GB? I've checked three different systems running SQL Server and none of the processes are bigger than 150MB.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... As always, I have some strange ideas on how to figure this out. They may not work, but...

1) what if you rename or disable the SQL Server (if that is possible), and see what program complains?

2) it MAY be possible to run FileMon and/or RegMon (Sysinternals) early in the boot process and capture what program is actually is looking for the SQL Server. Of course the data they collect would be huge, but you would only have to Search for SQL in the data and see what comes up.

Thanks

Edited by HansV to reduce extremely wide picture (over 1200 pixels!) in size

Yup I am sure. Here is the evidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.JPG (17.0 KB, 0 views)

Administrator
    Thanks

What tool are you using to see that? If the total KB includes virtual memory it may not be as important as the real memory used. As I posted earlier, if you are not using BCM or the Acoounting software I'd uninstall both then uninstall SQL Server if it is still there. Then I'd install Outlook without BCM. AFAIK, there is nothing else in Office 2007 that requires SQL Server.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

The tool is Taskinfo.

The figure does include virtual memory, so all that memory is hung out on the paging file.

There must be some tools to see what is happening with SQL files somewhere. I probably won't use the accounting function but I may use the BCM function in the future. However, I hate to do things by guesswork.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you are going to use BCM then you are going to have SQL Server. There is probably very little you can do to affect the SQL Server configuration as that is set by the Office 2007 install. How much RAM is on your system? That would be the one item I'd consider changing as adding RAM is usually pretty inexpensive. Even so, I'd probably not worry about it unless I noticed a performance hit on the PC.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> The figure does include virtual memory, so all that memory is hung out on the paging file.

This is NOT a true statement. Virtual memory can be part of the disk image of the program you are running, as well as real physical memory or pagefile.

StuartR

Thanks

Joe - I have 2GB of physical memory.

Stuart - Below is what the Taskinfo help file says about the memory info it makes available. In this case, I am interested in what is referred to as Virtual Address Space.

<hr>InMem KB
    Amount of physical memory (in kilobytes) used by the process.

Private KB
    Amount of Virtual Memory used privately by the process. It usually corresponds to heap allocations.

Total KB
    Total amount of Virtual Address Space (not Memory) used by the process.<hr>

This is what Microsoft says about virtual address space and physical storage:
    <hr>Virtual Address Space and Physical Storage

The maximum amount of physical memory supported by Microsoft Windows ranges from 2 GB to 1 TB, depending on the version of Windows. For more information, see Memory Limits for Windows Releases. The virtual address space of each process can be smaller or larger than the total physical memory available on the computer. The subset of the virtual address space of a process that resides in physical memory is known as the working set. If the threads of a process attempt to use more physical memory than is currently available, the system pages some the memory contents to disk. The total amount of virtual address space available to a process is limited by physical memory and the free space on disk available for the paging file.

Physical storage and the virtual address space of each process are organized into pages, units of memory, whose size depends on the host computer. For example, on x86 computers the host page size is 4 kilobytes.

To maximize its flexibility in managing memory, the system can move pages of physical memory to and from a paging file on disk. When a page is moved in physical memory, the system updates the page maps of the affected processes. When the system needs space in physical memory, it moves the least recently used pages of physical memory to the paging file. Manipulation of physical memory by the system is completely transparent to applications, which operate only in their virtual address spaces.
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366914.aspx<hr>

It seems to me that they are clearly referring to the paging file where virtual memory is mapped to. Therefore I think I am correct when I stated that the 1.5GB is being stored on the page file.

That being said, are their any tools that I could run against the SQL dB to see more detail or to try to tune it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The idea that all virtual memory is either physical memory or pagefile is a simplification. See for example http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/boo...hap/4354a.aspx and note the text that says
    <hr>
    the first stage in CreateProcess is to find the appropriate Win32 image that will run the executable file specified by the caller and to create a section object to later map it into the address space of the new process.
    <hr>
    It is not possible to run an image unless it is first mapped into the address space of the process that is going to run it.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks

I guess I don't see what the issue is. Physical RAM availability and usage is what will have the most effect on your system. Use of the pagefile allows the OS to have multiple programs in memory concurrently thereby greatly increasing the overall performance of the system. See Virtual address space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an explanation of how the virtual address space is allocated. With an express or embedded version of SQL Server you are not going to have much control anyway. You can have alook at Download details: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and the links on that page. I don't think you are going to find much to tweak on the SQL Server version that was installed with Office 2007.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

<hr>I guess I don't see what the issue is. Physical RAM availability and usage is what will have the most effect on your system. Use of the pagefile allows the OS to have multiple programs in memory concurrently thereby greatly increasing the overall performance of the system. See Virtual address space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an explanation of how the virtual address space is allocated. With an express or embedded version of SQL Server you are not going to have much control anyway. You can have alook at Download details: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and the links on that page. I don't think you are going to find much to tweak on the SQL Server version that was installed with Office 2007.

Joe <hr>

The point is and has been from the beginning that 1.5GB of virtual memory usage (and my contention is that this is on the pagefile) is unreasonable. I was looking for if there was anything I could do about this. It appears not. I guess this is why people turn to products like MySQL that don't consume so much resources.

Thanks for the discussion everyone but I think we have gone as far as possible here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast