3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing a text field & date field (2003)

Hello,

I have a table that I imported from a text file. I have a date field that is a text field in the following format year,month,date and I need this to be converted to a date field. How can I do this? I tried changing in the properties table for that field to a date field, but when I did this everything disappear. I also have another problem where a number from the text field currently is a long integer and reads 7650. I need to change it to $76.50 or 24650 to $246.50 how or where can I do this. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing a text field & date field (2003)

When you import the text file, are you changing the data type in the wizard? When you get to the step where you can customize the field names, you can also instruct the wizard to import the field as date/time, or for that matter as currency. Have you tried this?
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried doing this. When I imported, I select the advance tab and select my options there. I change to YDM and I also tried other formats, but I get another table that gives me ImportErrors and it list all the fields and it says "Type Conversion Failure" for the field (3) and then it list the row. The only way I am able to bring it over is with all the fields as text. I can't load it in a single spreadsheet because it is over 177,000 rows of information. Is there another way I can change this information for this two fields. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could create a link to the text file, then create a make-table query to create an Access table. You'd include most fields from the linked text file "as is", with two exceptions, for the date field and the currency field. But we'd need to have precise information on what the text field looks like: does it contain

or

or something else?