3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Color (Windows XP Prof(IE6))

My friend has a Dell 1501 laptop with Windows XP Professional on it and cannot get decent color in Internet Explorer. For example, her home page is MSNBC and when she showed it to me yesterday, the best she could get was a grey background with black text. I fooled with it a little bit and could only get a white background with blue text. Another friend thought he had a fix and I don't know what he did last night but he was unable to fix it.

Does anyone know how we can fix this? I went in and checked Use Windows Colors but that didn't help.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Color (Windows XP Prof(IE6))

Check Internet Options | General | Accessibility and make sure that "Ignore colors specified on webpages" is NOT checked.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Does your friend have a PDF printer driver? If not, she can try the free CutePDF Writer. Just wondering whether IE will print the PDF in the correct colors. If so, it might be something in the physical printer driver.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to have her bring the laptop back to my office Friday, go online and see what drivers are available that she needs from both Dell and Windows. Since she's not real computer savy and her husband (my boss) is worse, I'm thinking that over the 2 years or so that she's had it, something got messed up and now she either would have to re-install Windows XP which I sure don't want to do for her, or see if picking up the drivers from Dell and/or Windows will help.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We already tried that and it was not checked, so no help there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to sign off on this, I updated all the Windows and Dell drivers and nothing worked. In the past everytime I've seen this and started someone tracing backward, I find that someone's kid or grandkid download either a game or music and that's when things went crazy. In this case, it seems to have happened when her grandchildren were visiting her in Florida last year. So, told her to live with it or reformat, which she doesn't want to do.