Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What is .Net Framework (English/2.0)

I'm not at all sure what .NET Framework is or what it does or if it is even needed but I had .Net Framework 1.1 and .Net Framework 2.0 both installed on the same machine somehow. Automatic updates from Microsoft said a high priority security update was available for version 1.1 but when I tried to install it it would not install. That is when I checked in the Control Panel under ADD/Remove programs to see what version, if any, I had and found both as mentioned above. I uninstalled version 1.1 but I'm not sure I should have.

Did I need both versions of .Net Framework? If having both versions of it was not the reason why the security update was not installed then what should I do to correct the situation?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What is .Net Framework (English/2.0)

The .Net Framework is a set of software components used by programs written in one of the .Net programming languages such as VB.Net and C#. An example that has been mentioned elsewhere in Woody's Lounge is Paint.net, a free application for digital photo editing.

The .Net Framework consists of several versions: 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and recently 3.5. Each new version adds functionality, it doesn't replace the older versions, so if you need the framework, you should install all versions (in order from oldest to newest).
    If you uninstall the .Net Framework, you'll find out soon enough if programs don't work anymore. If you have no problems, you don't need it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans for the information and for the link.
    H Lewton

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

how do you know you have .NET Framework installed?

I looked under C:Program files...and theres nothing there that I could find related to .NET framework

are files/.dlls installed on the pc so I can check?

We have .NET framework installed on the pc, however how can you check that you have .NET framework installed on the pc? what version?

many thanks

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can check this in the Install or Remove Programs control panel. It should list each installed version, with the version number (look for Microsoft .Net Framework).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

nice one Hans

thank you

diana