New Lounger
    Thanks

Section Break (Next Page) turns into (Continuous)

to briefly illustrate our problem:

Say I have four Word files, called B, C, D and E. Each file is three-to-five pages long, and each file ends with a Next page section break, created by dropping down the Insert menu and selecting Break... > Next page. Remember that - each of the four files ends with a Section Break (Next Page).

I create a fifth file, called A, which is a composite of files B through E inserted as links (because I want to be able to update files B through E and then pull those changes into file A). My new and blank file A is open, and I drop down the Insert menu, select File, and navigate to the file called B. I press the Insert button at the lower-right of the Insert File window and select Insert as Link. I repeat this process for files C, D and E so that, when I finish, file A is made up of files B through E, each inserted as link.

When I review file A and scroll from top to bottom, I notice that file D's text does not begin at the top of the page following the end of file C's text, as you would expect with a Section Break (Next Page) inserted at the end of file C, but rather the Section Break (Next Page) has somehow turned into a Section Break (Continue) during the linking process to file A, and so file D's text begins on the same page and a line or two below the end of file C's text. This is bad.

Can someone tell me how I can prevent my Section Break (Next Page) from magically and quite erroneously turning into a Section Break (Continue)? You can make the TechPubs team at my office immensely happy with an explanation, and especially with a slick solution.

Thank you for your valuable time,
    Curtis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section Break (Next Page) turns into (Continuous)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Which version of Word are you using? I couldn't reproduce your problem in Word 2002 SP3:
    - I created and saved 4 documents, each with a next-page section break at the end.
    - I then inserted each of the documents in turn as a link at the end of a new document.
    - Each linked document started on a new page.
    - With Show/Hide turned on, there was a next-page section break at the end of each inserted document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section Break (Next Page) turns into (Continuo

Hans, thank you for replying.
    doh! I forgot to post that we are using Word 2003 SP2, running on on WinXP version 2002 SP2.
    A few more specifics:
    We actually are Inserting as Link about a dozen documents into our main document; I said only four to keep the example manageable. With Show/Hide turned on, we consistently see that one of the files we Insert as Link loses the Next Page break and shows a Continuous break instead. We have gone over the offending original file(s) many times with a fine-tooth comb to make *sure* it terminates with a Next Page break, but when we Insert as Link, it magically has a Continuous break. To make it more troubling, I'm pretty sure that it's not always the same file that is problematic. After we finish Inserting as Link our dozen files or so, one of them (not always the same one) exhibits this behavior.

Also, none of these files live on our workstations; they reside on a shared server to which we all have mapped drives. All this Inserting and so forth happens on the server, not our desktop machines.

We're praying that it's not a bug in Word. Of course, we also don't expect fine folks like you to spend time recreating our environment. Thank you for any input you can offer, all of you!

Curtis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have any of the documents been set to start on another page number than 1? Or to use a different layout for odd and even pages?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Negative - we are using no special numbering or odd/even layout. We're just inserting as link a bunch of files with Next Page breaks at the end of them.

One person suggested that Word *is* behaving properly; that the Next Page break is not supposed to force the next data to appear at the top of the next page. Rather, the Next Page break is designed to force a break, then allow the next data to appear just below the break. Does that sound right to you?
    Curtis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A next page section break is supposed to force the text following it to begin on a new page, just like a page break but with additional options such as changing page layout etc. A continuous section break allows the text to continue on the same page

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know what is causing this problem but there may be a simple workaround. Is the only reason you are using a Section Break to throw a new page?

If you started each file with a paragraph that has a setting in the paragraph formatting for 'Page Break Before' then you won't need the section breaks. In my experience, section breaks are heavily overused and add dramatically to the file complexity since the headers, footers and page setups are all held within the section breaks.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew and HansV, thank you so much for your time.
    Yes, we want only to throw a new page so that every time we Insert as Link a new file, it always starts as a new page in our main doc and *not* directly underneath the existing text. We need the header (title, etc) of each file we Insert as Link to appear at the top of a page.

Coincidentally I watched two online videos on this topic (I found them when I navigated Word's Help menu) and one of the things I learned about is the paragraph format 'Page Break Before'. Also coincidentally, the narrator suggested the same thing - that manual page breaks can be overused and should be avoided when possible. But.....how else can one force Word (whose engineers try very hard to automate everything for everyone ;-) to start newly linked files at the top of a new page? We can't have our file titles and header info starting in the middle of a page!

Thank you all for your insight and time,
    Curtis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps each document could start with a paragraph that has "Page Break Before" set either in its style or directly in the Format | Paragraph dialog?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If your first paragraph is starting down the page then there are a number of areas you might look to for the reason for this.
    1. The section page setup may set a large margin at the top of the page
    2. The section page setup may have set the text to be center aligned (vertically) on each page
    3. The header for the current section may contain a large number of empty paragraphs (or a large paragraph spacing)
    4. The first paragraph may have a paragraph setting to add space before the paragraph. Note that this is (probably - depending on Word's optional settings) ignored on pages where the paragraph just happens to fall on a new page but honoured if you have forced the new page by the paragraph formatting 'page break before'

Note that the first three items are all associated with section breaks since each section may have different settings for these. That complication is why we recommend you avoid section breaks when you really only want a page break.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV and Andrew, thank you both very much for your thoughtful replies. My team and I will consider every word as we try to resolve this beastie!

Thank you again.
    Curtis