Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column Chart not displaying correctly (2003 SP2)

The percentages in column D represent Actual as a fraction of Budget. You're using a stacked percent chart in which Actual and Budget add up to 100%. I suppose that is not what you intended.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column Chart not displaying correctly (2003 SP

It actually is. I want the column to add up to 100% but I want the separation to show at 46% and it currently is refusing to do so. It's hovering somewhere around 35%. The dark grey portion of the column should indicate the 54% of the budget that has not been spent yet and the white portion of the column should indicate the 46% of the spent portion. I have numerous charts like this in this workbook and this is the only one that's having an issue.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your chart doesn't make sense as it is now - you cannot add actual and budget.

Apparently what you want to display is actual and the difference of budget and actual. You need to modify the source data for that. See the attached version (I had to use the data in the workbook, since the linked data are not available). The budget data have been moved, and in their original place you'll now find the difference between budget and actual.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. The rest of the charts are displaying properly. I wonder what's up with this one? Thank you for the solution. I'll go ahead and modify the numbers so that the chart turns out correctly for this one (just didn't want to go there without asking here first) .

Thanks.
    Pooja

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since I don't know how the other charts work, I cannot offer an explanation.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How do you mean "working ones"? It has exactly the same problem as the one you attached earlier: the chart makes no sense, and it doesn't show the percentages from column E - take a careful look, no way you can read 22% in the chart.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Column Chart not displaying correctly (2003 SP2)

On the attached worksheet, I've copied the specific chart that is not working. All the rest of the charts are coming out correctly so I'm puzzled. You'll note that the percentage that needs to be displayed is 46%. For some odd reason, the stacked columns are not coming out correctly. Guidance is needed.

Thanks.
    Pooja

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached one of the working ones! You'll probably see what I am missing in about a second! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One more time. The charts are nonsense, you're stacking values that shouldn't be stacked this way.

If the YTD Actual amount is only a small fraction of the total Budget, the difference between the calculated percentages and the chart is relatively small. But the chart is still wrong.

If, as in your first example, the YTD Actual amount is a sizable part of the Budget, the difference becomes very pronounced.

Imagine the situation where the entire budget has been spent: YTD Actual = $1,000,000 and Budget = $1,000,000. The percentage is obviously 100%. But in your chart, you'd stack two columns of the same height, and the division would be exactly halfway, i.e. at 50%. VERY wrong! See attached picture.

I have explained how you can modify the data so that the charts make sense and that they correspond to the correct percentages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (5.4 KB, 0 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm. They seem to be fine on my end. I must have explained what I'm trying to do incorrectly earlier. The total column should represent the total budget so it's 100%. The grey portion should represent the actual budget amount spend to date. That's the portion that they will be looking at for this project. I've attached another sample with a couple more charts. On the first one, I want the two grey portions to represent 10% and 14% respectively. They get close enough to it to look okay to me. On the second one, I want the grey portions to represent 19% and 24%. Again, close enough to work for this project. The one I'm having issues with is not even close. Though it needs to represent 46% in the first column (the only one I'm having an issue with, the other one is 11% and is close enough), it consistently is showing about 35%. That's what my issue is. All these charts are going to be pretty small so I just need them close enough to pass the naked eye in a printed document.

Thanks.
    Pooja

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. Thanks.

Pooja