2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Symbol (2003 & 2007)

I wish to store or display a Symbol which is a triangle of dots/periods as part of a table field. It is available under the 'Character Map' as Character Code 92. The problem is that it is only available using the font 'Symbol'. if I change the font for the field, the whole field changes font to 'Symbol'. If I change back to Arial, the symbol changes to a '' character.
    Can anyone advise how I might display this character by formatting the font of this character only. Only way I can think of is a field in the table that only stores this symbol, and concatenating with the other data. It would mean though that I would need 3 fields in my table to store one bit of data. Not sure it would work though. As this character is valid for only some of the records, I need a way to display this symbol on reports for those records. An alternative symbol is not appropriate as the symbol has significance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Symbol (2003 & 2007)

If all you want to do is display the symbol on reports, for some records, insert the symbol in the report as a Label, then set its visible property to Yes or No to show and hide it as needed.
    Use the On format event of the detail section.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Would it be acceptable to use Arial Unicode MS as font? The character you want is available as unicode character U-2234 (hex) in this font, which also contains all standard characters.

In Access 2007 you should be able to use a rich text field, this supports using different fonts in a field. This is not backwards compatible with Access 2003 though.

2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks to both John and Hans. I will try both solutions. I had read about RTF in Access 2007, but as a new feature was unsure. It may have possibilities. John's solution also looks elegant in its simplicity.

Hans, you have helped me more than you know over the last few years, and I don't just mean replys to my posts. Reading other's solutions has also helped. If you ever travel down under, the Beer is on me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your use of that symbol intrigues me - we have some clients that use it in conjunction with an abreviation. Can you share a bit about how it is being used?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In mathematics, the three-dots-in-a-triangle symbol is used as "therefore" or "it follows that".