Thread: KDS Rad 5 power

Star Lounger
    Thanks

KDS Rad 5 power

Does anyone know the polarity for the coaxial power connector on this monitor? I've mislaid the power supply, and have determined from the KDS spec sheet that it needs 12 volts dc. I have several 12v dc regulated wall wart type power supplied, but I'm not sure if the center pin on KDS's inline jack is positive or negative.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: KDS Rad 5 power

Hi Pat

Having a dig around the interweb thingy, I found this Model: CP1250 which appears to be the power supply. It appears some of the specs are on this page, but that is as far as I can help you on this one.
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,
    I do not have the answer to your specific question. However, the supply has to be able to deliver 32W at 12V for this monitor, which is high for typical wall warts.
    What I would do is test for continuity between the outside conductor of the jack and the chassis or ground of the monitor. If the outside conductor is ground, then the "normal" convention would be to supply +12V to the inner conductor. If the inside conductor is ground then the +12V would go on the outside. Without specific info from KDS this hookup is the statistically most likely connection. It is possible (though unlikely) that they may have used a ground and -12V supply.

If you don't feel lucky and you do not want to call KDS and have some electrical components and basic test equipment on hand we could try some tests.

Paul

Thanks

I agree with Paul on determining the polarity of the input supply and ALSO about the very possible fact that most of your average 12 volt bricks will NOT be able to supply the proper current to the monitor.

I strongly advise that you contact KDS to get the correct unit before you attempt any "try and see" plug ins.
    Tuning for smoke is not a good idea.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!