New Lounger
    Thanks

Template Toolbar issue (2003)

I have created two separate templates that have the same styles, autotext, macro's and toolbar.
    I made some changes to the toolbar in one of the templates, then used the organizer to replace the existing toolbar in the second template with the updated toolbar from the original template. When I do this it works, but when I open a document using the second template, it reverts to the old toolbar. I have tried deleting the toolbar then saving and closing the template, then opening it again and adding the new toolbar, with the same results. I changed the toolbar name and still the same results.
    Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template Toolbar issue (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If you create a new document based on the second template, then open the Organizer and activate the Toolbars tab, do you see any toolbar listed on that document itself?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do you have multiple copies of the template? I am guessing that your documents are attached to an older version of the template.

The reason I suggest this is that Word will ignore the specifically attached template path if it can find a template with the same name in an earlier location (eg your User Templates path).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. Template1 has the new toolbar bar, and I want to copy the toolbar from Template1 to Template2. I tried opening Template2 and going into the organiser. At this point the toolbar shows in both Template1 and Template2. I tried overwriting the toolbar in Template2 with the new toolbar in Template1. It worked for the template, but still reverted when I tried to open a new document using Template2.

Next tried opening Template2, going into the Organiser and deleting the toolbar from template2. I then copied the toolbar from Template1 to Template2. I had the same result.

I then tried opening Template2, going to the Customise Toolbars window and deleting the toolbar from there, then going into the organiser to copy the new toolbar across. The same result.

I even renamed the toolbar in Template2, then deleted it, then copied the new toolbar over. Same Result. So I renamed the new toolbar in Template1, then tried copying it to Template 2. Same result.

Does that help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is with new documents created using the template, rather than existing documents.
    I double checked the template to be sure that no old templates are attached but none are. There are some templates attached related to Infopack, which is another program on my PC. I don't think that would be causing this issue?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have the Adobe Acrobat add-in installed? It's notorious for wreaking havoc with custom toolbars.

If not, any chance you could attach a zipped copy of the template? (You can remove all text and code from the copy)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I do have Acrobat Professional 7.0 installed on my PC - and so have two new menu's in Word - Adobe PDF and Acrobat Comments. Do you think that could be the cause?

Michelle

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It might well be. You could temporarily uninstall the add-in (not all of Adobe Acrobat) to see if that helps. See Lose that Adobe Acrobat Toolbar and look for the section on Acrobat 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Is it 1am where you are! Thank you so much for helping me. It sounds like that may be the problem. I am using Acrobat v7.0.8 and I can not modify the installation because the network I am on is locked down. I will contact the computer help desk and see if they can help and let you know how I go.

Michelle

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I logged onto a computer that does not have Acrobat Professional installed and tried copying the toolbar from template1 to template2 but I had the same result. I am attaching a copy of the two templates. I have renamed them to Template1 and Template2 for ease. I am grateful for your time in this matter.

thanks
    Michelle
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A very mysterious problem - it occurs on my PC in Word 2002 too. The "wrong" toolbar appears to be very persistent!

The only way I could get the correct toolbar into Template2.dot was as follows:

- Create a blank new document based on Template2.dot (cancel all Fillin fields).
    - Save the new document as a template, say as Template3.dot.
    - Template3.dot will not contain the toolbar, macro and autotext entries since it was created from a document. It does contain the styles.
    - Use Organizer to copy the macro and autotext entries from Template2.dot into Template3.dot.
    - Use Organizer to copy the toolbar from Template1.dot into Template3.dot.
    - Save and close Template3.dot.
    - Delete Template2.dot.
    - Rename Template3.dot to Template2.dot.
    - Existing documents created from the old Template2.dot now behave correctly (in my experiment, at least).

I have attached the resulting Template2.dot
    Attached Files Attached Files