5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document messed up??? (Word2003)

I have a 50 page document. Due to some photos, it's about 108Mb.

It reads good on screen and all seems to function. At a certain moment in time (cannot recall or trace back when exactly) I found that generating a PDF (I'm using Acrobat Pro v7.0.8) directly from Word failed. I got a WORD error that a table was messed up and the PDF generation macro failed. Upon inspection of the document left, indeed a (very simple) tabel on page six or so was gone.
    Of course, I then tried to "print to PDF" (which wasn't my preference as that method doesn't include links to the sections in the Table-of-Contents as the Word-integrated method does), that worked OK.

Now, again a bit later, I tried to print to a printer (nothing with PDF this time), and Word crashed around page 16.

I'm afraid my document structure got messed up (although I still do not see any odd behavior on-screen).

I tried to copy-and-paste all to a new document (including the last par-mark not to loose my styles etc.); that already made me loose page formatting and tabs. A quick test showed the same problem in the PDF creation.

What is wrong and how do I fix that??? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Erik Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document messed up??? (Word2003)

Have you tried the Open and Repair option in Word? There's a little dropdown arrow to the right of the Open button in the File | Open dialog; Open and Repair is the last option in the dropdown list. (I'd make a backup copy of the document before trying this)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document messed up??? (Word2003)

Did that, the error during PDF-creation still occurs (during or just after saving the intermediate TMP file); this is the error-message:

A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of the table:
    select the table and choose Convert Table To Text from the Table menu

In the dialog-box there is this text:
    This error message may be the result of a corrupt table in the current document.
    (Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

You can recover the contents of the document and the table by closing the document and reopening it using the Open and Repair option of the Open dialog (File menu). To find the Open and Repair option, select the down arrow next to the Open button. The Open and Repair option is at the bottom of the menu. After the file is repaired, the corruption or incorrect formatting of all tables in the document should be corrected.
    If the document still has errors in a table after a repair, you may want to examine each table to see if any text is too long for any given cell or row, or an incomplete table was created or imported into the document.
    More information about this error message online.

The link goes here

Printing now seems to work again; that seems good enough for now.

UPDATE: I cropped and compressed pictures; now PDF generation seems to work (the links in the TOC don't all work but it's much better now)