Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unique record and sorting (Excel 2003)

Hi there,

Attached is sample workbook of much larger record set (20K+) with no specific number of records (rows) within the same group (Company). Is there a way to filter out (hide) those repeated names (Column [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] within the same company (Column A). I cannot sort is by Column B because the sorting needs to be maintain that way, ie Peter needs to appear before Marc. Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Ridz
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unique record and sorting (Excel 2003)

Are you sure that you want to do this? If you ever want to perform database-like analysis on the data, you'd need the company name in every row.

You could enter the following formula in C1:
    <code>
    =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,$A1)=1,$A1,"")
    </code>
    and fill down as far as needed. You can then either hide column A (to retain the names for future use), or copy column C and paste special as values, to get rid of the formulas.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

Am I missing something? The formula you suggested be placed in column C "removed" the repeated Management Company name (only cell C2 and C22 have contents now after the formula is copied down). I need to get rid of repeated Name (column [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] and at the same time maintaining that sorting.

Regards
    Ridz

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, I think I got it now...should have tried the formula with column B. Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't read your question carefully enough, but fortunately you worked it out yourself.