4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reduce number of fonts (Vista Home Premium)

I'm guessing that my system is being slowed down a bit by the number of fonts I have accumulated. I have never installed any font other than as part of progs such as Adobe Photoshop, Office 2007, Xara 3D etc which install fonts without giving you an option to select.

I now have 615 files in my Windows/fonts directory which I assume means I have significantly more than that installed, and I'm assuming that this has a hit on performance.

Other than system fonts (which I obviously have no choice over) , I virtually never use more than 12 of the installed fonts.

Can anyone reccomend a font manager that identifies a font by wich prog installed it, and then lets you clean up, but also lets you keep some of those cleaned fonts available to install temporarily? I do look to use Publisher say once a month, so I do want access to more fonts at that point.

I have searched this forum, but found surprisingly little about fonts, the main one being on the max no of them that could be installed.

Thanx

Colin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Reduce number of fonts (Vista Home Premium)

The absolutely most important thing for Vista performance is adequate RAM. I'd recommend at least 2GB for anyone using Photoshop, & Office 2007. How about a little more information about your system?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have 4Gb of ram (I know that not all is accessible), and an AMD2 3.02Ghz Chip. So System performance is not likely to be an issue.

It may even be that I am not taking a hit on fonts, but I would like to investigate at least

Colin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have 1465 fonts installed All by Windows or a program that wants them and I have NOT seen any slowness in the operation my machine(s).

Yes, when I got to Font folder it does take some time for Windows Explorer to read the folder but other than that no problem.

I know of a person that keeps about 3,000 fonts in his font folder but has access to over 50,000 fonts on his machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.