3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Base-tobase measurement (2000, SR 1a)

Quark Xpress and other DTP software allows users to define space between the base of one style to the base of the next style (which is common in the typesettign industry and is a carry-over from the days of moveable type), . This is very difficult to achieve and exactly emulate in Word except by trial and error, because of the differences in descender depth and x-height of different fonts. How can we reduce the trial and error within Word?

Thanks

Re: Base-tobase measurement (2000, SR 1a)

Can you attain sufficient control by setting all your line heights to "Exactly" a certain number of points rather than allowing Word to determine the line height? (Sounds like a big hassle, but if precision is the goal...)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, and unfortunately, meeting precise written typesetting requirements is necessary!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rajesh,

I've done lots of typesetting from exact written specs, but not in Word (used Quark for that), and of course I don't know how long and complicated your documents are, but I'm pretty sure that using exact measurements would be the first step.

I haven't done this, but it seems to me that you could set the styles for things that have different spacing after them to add or subtract the space you need. You might then need more than one version of a style ("heading 2," "heading 2 followed by heading 3," etc). If you're not using styles and just using local formatting, then you can try adjust the space after paragraphs as needed.

It may not matter whether you add space before or after, but it might, so you might want to try both ways.

I hope this helps; I think there is a way to do it.

Lin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Lin, for your well thought out input.

Actually I have been using Word as a platform-neutral repository of text, using VBA and Word features for enabling quicker typesetting in other platforms like Quark, 3B2 and TeX, mostly in the scientific, technical and medical publishing fields.

The exacting requirements of these platforms have advanced my understanding of Word to the point where nowadays, I do fairly complex typesetting to very stringent written requirements in Word itself. The pagination is fairly quick, but the template creation is a time-consuming process because of the trial and error involved in matching base-to-base specs across multiple styles with the self-contained style specs scheme of Word.

I was just wondering if anybody had applied their minds enough to develop a solution which might cut down the level of trial and error.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Rajesh,

I don't do anything as advanced as the scientific and technical publishing that you do, but I do create Word templates for producing financial offering documents - sometimes to detailed specs provided by the client's firm.

We used to do these with FrameMaker, which allowed using true typesetting properties to meet specifications (well, as much as my basic knowledge of typesetting permitted anyway<g>).

Upon switching to Word, I've found that in most cases we can reproduce what we did with FrameMaker, but this always involves a lot of seat-of-the-pants trial and error in setting up the template. I also have to use a lot of macros to get Word to do things it doesn't naturally want to do. And there are some things that just can't be done with the desired degree of accuracy, and we just fudge these - fortunately you can get away with this in financial printing.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary

I don't believe that a person like you ever needs to fudge -- I have learnt a lot of tips from your posts and continue to do so.

What are the things for which you cannot manage desired degree of accuracy ? Just curious, could you please post these as new threads?