4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the appearance of document comments (2003

How can I change the font in which comments appear?

The standard font appears to be the one defined by the Normal style, only a couple of points smaller. Itís too small to read when Iím reviewing commented drafts with my clientís technical people (in meetings, on paper).

The help file says that to change the appearance of comments I must open the Styles and Formatting sidebar and modify the Comment Text style. In other words, do the obvious thing. But it doesnít work. The changes I make to Comment Text have no effect on the appearance of the document.

I canít even change the font or size of text in a comment directly. For example, if I select a word in a comment and repeatedly press Ctrl+Shift+>, the formatting toolbar shows the size going from 12 points to 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24,... but the text remains exactly as it was.

Bold, italic, underline, etc., are effective when applied directly to text. (My attempt to apply them to the Comment Text style crashed Word.) That doesnít help my problem, though!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Changing the appearance of document comments (

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 05-Dec-07 21:35. I hadn't tested first, which is always a mistake...)</P>Here's a Microsoft article that discusses that style: Change the way tracked changes and comments look - Word @ Microsoft Office Online. You have to close the Reviewing pane before Custom... will pop up the Format Settings... dialog.

Balloon Text style appears to cover the word Comment (as well as tracked changes for formatting) while Comment Text style covers the actual text of the comment.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>Balloon Text style appears to cover the word Comment (as well as
    > tracked changes for formatting) while Comment Text style covers
    > the actual text of the comment.

Actually, as you suggested, it turned out to control both. The problem is solved.

Microsoft has turned styles into a bewildering patchwork of things that don't work (changing the size of balloon text directly) and things that don't work as one would expect (comments controlled by Balloon Text instead of Comment Text). How long, I wonder, before they become impossible to use at all?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, this is not just puzzling; itís misleading and inconsistent.

The formatting toolbar says that comments use Comment Text. Yet:

Font size is controlled by the Balloon Text style and canít be applied directly to text.

Boldface, italics, underline, etc. are controlled by Comment Text and can be applied directly to text.

Font is controlled by Comment Text but canít be applied directly to text.

Paragraph before-and-after spacing aren't controlled by either style, and canít be applied directly to text. (I wonder if they're controlled by some other style. There are only a hundred or so built-in possibilities to try!)

This isnít weird design; itís just buggy code.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I read your dialog about changing the text size in comments. Are you referring to Word 2007? That question has just been asked of me and I don't have an answer.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was referring to Word 2003. I don't know what would happen in Word 2007, but there's a good chance that it works the same way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, we haven't been able to change the font size in Comments using Word 2007. Just another wrinkle. Thanks for responding.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

I have W2007 and can change the size of the comment text by changing the size of balloon text. I think this behavior is in line what jsachs177 described for 2003.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for replying. I pass along to my friend and we'll try it.