5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo box (2003)

At the moment, I have two combo fields on a form. One for customer order, and one for customer name. I have set the properties of both to limit to list. I have created a table which stores data for these controls, with a field for each one. What I would like to do is when I pick a supplier from the drop down list, the order number is entered into the other field, but will still allow me to add a Customer/Order No to the list.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo box (2003)

I am having difficulty comprehending your question. You started with a Customer Order ID and Customer Name, but then you refer to a Supplier Combo which in relationship case does not commonly relate to Customers or Orders.

There are a couple of ways to update a field. One using a macro, another using a formula like LOOKUP and a third using queries. If your tables are normalized and you have referencial joins between them, queries usually can update records with known data automatically. Unless one of the gurus can make more of the clues you provided, you may need to be more detailed in your question or send a scaled down sample of the DB.
    Regards,
    Rudi

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I wasn't thinking while I was typing. It should be Customer Combo and not supplier. To explain more clearly. We have a table which stores Test Releases. The data is obtained through a Form. On the form, are two controls, Customer and Order No. Both are combo controls, and the data for both is stored in a table called Customer. I have two fields in frmCustomer, Name and Order No. I select the Customer Name and Order No through the combo boxes. If the customer name is not on the list, I can add it. This goes for the Order No. What I want to do is select the Customer Name from the combo, and have it fill in the Order No. I'm probably making this more complicated than it should be.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How does selecting a customer determine the order number?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like you are making it more complicated.

In the Northwind DB (Access Help Menu | Sample Databases | Northwind) there is a form called Customer Orders. If you select a customer, the form shows all orders for the customer. When you select an order, it shows the products for that order. Open this form and see if this is similar to the functionality you want.

The problem with your request is that a customer can have more than one order, so if you chose a customer, the databse will probably not know which order to show??

You may need to re-evaluate the approach of this query and ensure that you have relationships set up to get the required results.
    Regards,
    Rudi