5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date stamp updated record (2003)

I've got a default value of Date() for a field to indicate when the record was created. How can I date stamp this field when it is updated? Which event do I need to use? How could I revert this field value to the previous one if someone Escapes out of it? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date stamp updated record (2003)

I'd use two date/time fields: one to hold the date/time the record was created, and another one to hold the date/time the record was last updated. You'd use the Before Update event of the form used to enter/edit records to fill the latter field (named dtmLastUpdated in this example)

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Me.dtmLastUpdated = Now
    End Sub

Now returns the current date and time; if you prefer to store the date only, use Date instead of Now.

When the user modifies values of controls, then presses Esc once or twice to cancel these changes, the dtmLastUpdated field will not be changed. However, if the user moves to another record after modifying controls, dtmLastUpdated will be changed. If he/she then uses Edit | Undo or Ctrl+Z to undo the changes in the previous record, dtmLastUpdated will change again. It would be very complicated to get around that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great, thanks. However, I know discover that I need to store the updated value only when certain of the records fields are updated. Would this make it very much more complicated? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, remove the Form_BeforeUpdate event procedure, and use the After Update event for each of the controls that should update the LastUpdated field:

Private Sub ThisField_AfterUpdate()
    Me.dtmLastUpdated = Now
    End Sub

Private Sub ThatField_AfterUpdate()
    Me.dtmLastUpdated = Now
    End Sub

dtmLastUpdated will be updated each time the user tabs or clicks out of one of these controls after modifying its value, but the value will only be stored in the table when the record as a whole is saved; if the user cancels all modifications to the record by pressing Esc twice, the updated value dtmUpdated will not be stored.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you v much. Andy