5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Installer

If I double-click a PDF file in Windows Explorer, a message displays asking me to wait while Windows installs InfoPath 2003. I do not have InfoPath on the PC in question, and it has never been isntalled on that PC. I right-clicked the PDF f ile and chose Open With, and slected Adobe Acrobat, indicating to always use this application with PDF files. The problem persists with the attempted install of InfoPath.

The installer eventually asks for the installation CD or that I point to its location. I choose Cancel. The process then begins anew. The only way out is with End Task from the Task Manager.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Installer

That's a strange one. Can you find any references to InfoPath in the Windows Registry? If so, does removing them help?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two keys result from a Reigstry search for Infopaht: they are in Infopathxml under Software Classes.

Now that I think more about this, a standard Windows Update last weekend reported that it was unable to update Net Framework 1.1. I indicated that I did not want Windows to attempt to update it again. This particular PC has Office XP on it. I recently rebuilt it (reformatting the drive and full Windows re-install) because I had trouble with Office XP and Office 2003 co-habitating (VBA Help wouldn't display). So it has Office XP Professional, and no InfoPath. (I own a copy of InfoPath, but it's not on this PC... doesn't appear on the Start menu, and no folder under Program Files.)

I know that I used Acrobat succesfully last week to print a Word document to PDF. That was before the Windows update. Net Framework is the only thing that I can think of which would relate to InfoPath in any way.

In any case, what does InfoPath have to do with a PDF file? I can't even start Adobe Acrobat from the Start menu without the installer intruding and trying to configure InfoPath 2003.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, this is beyond me. I hope someone else can help.